Sony amps with polk-momo subs? crazy set-up?

Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 3
Advice appreciated on the following set-up:

-Sony head unit w/CD changer (already owned)
-2 MM-12's, Polk-Momo 12' subs in enclosure 500W RMS, 1000W Peak, 4ohms SVC($99 each)
-2 pr's of Polk dB 650's for front and rear 60W RMS, 180W Peak 4ohms($150 total)
-1 Sony XM-2200GXT 2 ch amp to run 200W X 2 at 4Ohms for subs ($99)
-1 Sony XM-2200GXT 2 ch amp to run the four coax's at 2 ohms, left front and rear in parallel, right front and rear in parallel ($99)

I bought the cheap amps as a temporary move until I can afford a better monoblock amp to run the 2 subs in parallel at 2 ohms for max efficiency.

I really just need a 4 ch amp for the four polk coax's, but, again, want to wait to afford a higher quality amp, rather than buy a mid-level amp now.

I may be able to get the Polk single channel amp for about $250 to run the subs. Any opinions on that setup?

The coax's take 60W RMS and 180W Peak, so I don't really need a beefy, expensive amp. Any suggestions here?

By the way, the Sony amp specs are as follows:
200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

For the subs, it's clearly not 2ohm stable in bridged mode (with subs in parallel), so I'd run it 200W X 2 at 4 ohms. Is this wishful thinking that it'd be OK for 3-6 months until getting a better amp. I don't need the tightest, hardest bass, just good enough to crank with mostly rock type music, some rap.

Feel free to roast, I know the set-up's pretty hodge-podge. I do need help before I feel free to open boxes and start the install.

Oh, it'll be in a 96 honda civic and I've got all the wiring down, 4ga power cables, fuses, etc.

Thanks everyone.

By the way, I may be able to get a Polk-Momo 2 ch amp for $200, rated as follows:

Channels 2/1 (bridgeable)
Total Dynamic Power (all ch. driven) 850 watts
14.4 Volts RMS Not Bridged @ 1kHz
4 Ohms 150 watts x 2
2 Ohms 220 watts x 2
14.4 Volts RMS Bridged
4 Ohms 550 watts x 1

I guess one amp for my 2 subs would only be 150W X 2 at 4 ohms, would this be much better than the Sony as far as power?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us