15" MB Quart subwoofer "POP"!

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1227
What causes this..? At first, I thougt my enclosure might have been too big.. (1.78 cubes sealed), so I rebuilt a box, this time making it 1.58 cubes, and the popping still occurs at high volumes/some of the notes... It sounds like a really loud "POP". I'm giving it power with a Xenon 600.1, and it's rated for 700 RMS... Anyone have some advice? (I tried switching subs too...it does it with both.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1164
ive heard wen u over power it mine pops every once in a while.....but seems not to be in ur case...

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1370
it might be bottoming out. arn't those subs supposed to be in really small, sealed enclosures? the box prolly is still to big? is the subwoofer distorting at all?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2435
the sub pops because you are pushing is past its physical limits. check your gains or turn it down. the box being too big can also cause that to happen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1232
Brandon - the box is very small as it is (after sub displacement, actually slightly smaller than recs) and I'm giving it less power than it's rated for..in a sealed box, too.

Also - the pop will happen with my gains set VERY low, even.. It's weird.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1233
Ok check this out. When I set my gains ALL the way down, on the phoenix gold Xenon 600.1, and turn bass boost up to like 6dB, it still ends up popping at around 38-40 volume (out of 50) on my HU.

I built another box last night, and put the 2nd 15 in, and both subs do it, on both amps.. (each one has it's own 600.1). My 13W7 was fine with these amps, so I know it's not the amps that arent working.. (13W7 now has a 1200.1 powering it).

Thinking about going back to giving the W7 the 600.1's, and maybe trying the two 15" MB Quarts on my 1200.1, and seeing what happens.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1234
BTW, dimensions of my box...

17w x 17h x 13d (external dimensions, using 3/4" MDF)

Ends up being 1.599 cubes by my calculations.. (before sub displacement)

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 969
i think o know whut u mean by a "POP" is it more like a rattling sound........beacuse my MB sub has a cap over the VC or around cant realy tell...but i can c it.....that came loose.....i have 2 pwe 354 in 1.75 cuft each......off a raa-1000.....an my freind has a pwe 352 in 3cuft......hits just as deep as mine.....just not as loud....i think larger enclousers sounde better to me.....i listen to rap so thats 1 reason

ps i rethought some of that....is it when it reachs full excursion....does it make that pop....sound.....or......????

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3414
strange, to get a pop while underpowering the subs.... I hit my TSX with 5X rms and maybe got it to pop 2 times...

seems like the vc is jumping the gap and return into the motor. Seth are the coils rubbing even slightly? How does the excursion look?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1239
Hey, I fixed it. :-) These were the very first boxes I ever built, and I think it was there fault.

I was using only liquid nails, as I'd read a couple articles where people claimed to build great enclosures without screws...

Well, just to make sure, I went screw-happy (with wood decking 1.5" screws) and screwed both boxes together (with a screw about every 2", lol) and re-sealed the insides with silicone caulk.. It solved the problem.. I guess the boxes were just uber-leaky and crapy.

Killerzracing - your friends PWE 3 cubic foot box... Is that sealed??

Silver Member

Post Number: 982
yep....sealed

Gold Member

Post Number: 1242
Hmm... it sounds good in a 3 cubic foot sealed box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 986
yeah.....it hits very very very deep......with 3cuft......it sounds great...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us