Eclipse subs, BIG problem

Username: Tomdaman

Post Number: 8
I was asking yall questions on these forms about a week ago. I asked what subs would be good GlassWolf told me Eclipse Sw8122 12 subs would be awesome (and they are). But you also told me that a .07-1.12 cb. inch sealed box would work good for them. I bought a .08 cb. inch box. I just put them in the box and put in my car. These subs sound like s-hit in this box. I had them in a bandpass box before and sounded ok.. Now they just underly sound like crap. I cant turn them up high at all, and barely get any bass out of them. PLEASE help!

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 527
ok first what is a .07-1.12 cb. inch sealed box?

from wher ei come from we measure in cubic feet and usually not below 1 cu ft for a 12" sub with few exceptions

i gotta go but someone else fill in the rest

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2674
that should be 0.8
eight-tenths of a cubic foot.

go to eclipse-web.com and get the manual for the sub. it gives recommended volumes for enclosures.
your box sounds like its too small

Post Number: 9
yeah thats what I meant 0.8 and it was ft. it was a typo. The manual says0.10 for this sub. But you told me 0.7-1.12 would be fine.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2676
well go with the manual, not me.. is this the 12" or a 10"?

you're using the twelves, right?

0.10 for a 12" seems a bit small to me, as that's just about the displacement of the sub itself I'd think. those Ti 12" are huge.

Post Number: 10
Yeah its the 12" subs. The manual also says to have the box 10% bigger that required. So if its 0.10 what would be 10% more? Im thinking maybe a 0.12 cb. ft. box.

Bronze Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 88
theres no way in the world its .10 tom, not a chance. 1.10 maybe, those subs are pretty large. so i dunno what your looking at. in a 1.0 box, the sub should sound great, unless you went real cheap on the amp. eclipse are meant for vented enclosures, they sound much better sealed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
glasswolfs right, you wont even be able to fit the sub in a box that small. maybe a 6 X 9, but an eclipse 12" sub? you must be mistaking the enclosure size for something else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
in my previous post i meant, eclipse are NOT meant for for vented enclosures. sorry :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
It says right here in the manual. These are the exact words. 12" Model SW8122 = 0.10 CuFt

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2688
well, go for that then.. should be a pretty easy box that small.
half a sheet of MDF easy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
heres a point for you Tom.

The Sony 10" XS-1000B with a 4 3/4" mounting depth (proving the extremely small displacement of the sub) is recommended to be put in a .6 cu. ft. enclosure, 6 times that of the eclipse. this sub is very small, and not powerful at all, and .6 is a very small box, let alone .1, but best of luck to you

What you just described before sounds like the displacement of the sub, we may all be wrong, so you do what you would like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 528
i think you're mistaking the box size for driver displacement...

there is NO possible way it uses a .1 cubic foot box

Silver Member

Post Number: 529
well nevermind, i knowyou are mixing those two up cuz my elemental design e10k's are .07 cubic feet displacement each...10" sub so that eclipse Ti12 is going to be more than these e10k's

anyways, im building a small ported box tuned to 29 Hz (SQ) and these e10k's sound excellent in there with 300w rms each...im thinking of switching over to the eclipse 87101.4's - .75" xmax 1 way, 300w rms and Fs of 24 Hz, i think they could work extremely well in that box

anyone elses opinions?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2692
I couldn't find the tech specs for the sub on their site, and I looked.
all I found was vageries in their PDF sales brochure.

anyway if you don't like the sub response, then perhaps try a larger box, perhaps 1cu foot.. see if a cubic foot gives you waht you want.
I don't know what you're after

Anonymous

You've gotta be reading driver displacement. You may want to check your wiring as well. If one sub is out of phase w/ the other, it will take a HUGE amount of bass away. I know a guy that has two Eclipse Sw8122s in his car, they're getting 1.0 cu ft per sub and sound great. Also, your box may be too close to the back of the sub, especially with the box being that small. If the back of the sub doesn't have about an inch clearance, it'll sound pretty bad. A .8 cu ft 12" enclosure strikes me as being very shallow. Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us