About how far over the RMS can I go?

Silver Member
Username: Sweatyogre

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 121
I'm thinking about powering my two Pioneer subs that have a combined RMS wattage of 300 with an Audiobahn A8000T. Would I be safe to run them at 800 watts RMS with the gain down really low, or should I find some more powerful subs?

Also, their combined max power is 1200 watts.

Silver Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 166
combined rms of 300? Do they even make noise? Or just for looks? Get some better subs man :-)

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 185
power isnt everything if he had the right install i bet they would pound! ya its safe overpowering is actually better for your speakers under powering can actually harm your speakers! just watch the gain really closly set it so you can play your music really loud like full blast on deck and your sub isnt distorting but watch gain really close or your sub will blow!

Silver Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 168
Andy if he overpowers them that much, they wont last long. Even if you set the gain down low, you can still blow them. And honestly, I doubt this kid is going to take the time to create an awesome install with that sort of equipment. I'm not saying I know that much about car audio, because I too am just learning, but IMHO, get new subs, don't waste your time with those.

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 186
true fact though underpowering causes damage!

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 987
haha andy thts not tru...if tht were tru every time u lowered ur volume ur speakers in ur cars would be damaged..think b4 u type also read.....and dont give miss leading info
heres a site for ya
1bcae.com

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 988
wrong site
here it is
bcae1.com

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 392
lol yeah. i know what your saying. bcae1.com has exaclty what you said. i read that a long time ago. underpowering your subs, can not harm them. lol.

demon pride and andy f. read before you type. lol. dont just give him crappy info.

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 393
sweatyogre.....get some better subs. get some subs that are around 300rms or 400 rms each. i have 2 kickers that are both 400rms, and the a8000t and they are really LOUD.

sell those pioneers, and put them towards new subs, and you will be able to get more out of your amp.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1027
When you look for an amp for your subs, you will need about 15-20% of headroom. Headroom is extra power above the combined RMS.

If your subs are 300 watts RMS combined, then you need 345-360 Watts RMS to have safe headroom. If you go above that, then you will overpower your subs, and damage them.

Keep in mind;

Always start with the load first. This means find the sub you want, then look for the amp you need.

NEVER, try to match up an amp you have to subs that might fit the power of your amp. You will end up with unsatisfactory sound. Subs produce sound, amps produce power.

By the way, the difference between 300 watts and 500 watts isnt that great. You will barely hear the difference. Its is less than 3 dB louder. When you double the power you get 3 dB more output.

Here is the site link. www.bcae1.com

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1284
Hey steven, did u build ur enclosure yet??

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5949
the only way you can damage your subs from underpowering is if you have a 500 wattt rms sub and power it with a 150watt amp and clip the cr@p out of it to try to get the volume out of it you would with a true 500rms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us