OT - DTC!!!

Silver Member
Username: Paps

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 201
i had my CE light come on and i checked to see what the code was, so i turned on and off the car 3 times and it gave me P0455 which means its something wrong with the EVAP system. I went to check if the gas cap was loose/leakin or something (since this seems to be the most common problem associated with a p455 codes) but it seemed fine. Then i read somewhere that an overfilled tank might be another cause for it too? my tank filled up to a bit over 4/8 from empty with $25 bucks and then today i put in $50 from a little less than half so im pretty sure its more than 8/8 (full). So could an overfilled tank be the cause of my P0455 code to turn on?

Oh and if it makes anything difference, the light did turn on right after i finished filling up at the gas station. it was off before i got there.

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 207
:-( no one here knows about diagnostic trouble codes? c'mon now...

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 239
Do you use an OBD or OBD2 to tell the code or does your car do it automatic? Try letting it burn up some of the gas and see if its still goes on. Thats not a good warning to come on though, hopefully its just filled to much. What yeas/make/model is it?

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 208
its a 2001 Dodge Ram. nah i didnt use an OBD-II to find the code. Im not sure about other makes but i know that any vehicle from the chrysler corp. all you have to do to find a code is to turn the ignition switch on, off, on, off, then on again (3rd time) and look at ur digital odometer, it should display any fault codes that are currently present.

This is the only info I could find
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0455-evaporative-emission-contro l-system-leak-detected-large.php

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 610
P0445 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted

http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5955
my Ram shot out the same code to me last week and I filled up the tank to much, once it burned off the CE light shut off on it's own and have not had a problem since.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1031
What a pain!

If overfilling your gas tank will produce electronic code sensors to go off, then that would be too much of a head ache for me. Thank God I dont have a Dodge. Excuse me, but that just seems silly.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1232
That's not normal, my cousin overfills his truck all the time and never gets a code. My x's brother has the same ram and he also says he always overfills it and he has never gotten a code. Now they both agreed that the vehicles are sh!t and expect your tranny to go, lol... Polo. :-O

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3265
lol
:-O

gas indicator will come on, on the newer vehicles, if they have a bad gas cap.. replace the gas cap, see what happens!

if this is the code?
P0445 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted

why did you pump gas with the engine running?
the evap canistor sucks up vapors out of the gas tank, its prob bad now or clogged.. or bad vacume..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us