Isuzu Trooper

Username: Johnnycool

Post Number: 2
Hey guys i have an Isuzu trooper 1993 model and im in desperate need for wiring codes and everything else that is needed for installing new speakers and tweeters. I am new in this domain so pls forgive my silly questions, but i was wondering how i should install tweeters to the back speakers.i want to install them myself but i dont want to ruin anything. Is attaching the wires of the tweeter to the wires of the speakers(pioneer 160W 16cm)enough?my tweeter says it is up to 250W High frequency, is that possible?i saw in some other shop tweeters that were only 10W and the guy said that they were more than enough!!is that possible?pls im in desperate need.My stereo is a JVC model with a 12cd box and i was wondering if any of u guys know where i can get a free user manual?cuz i bought it used from my friend and he doesnt have the manual anymore. Thanks alot

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2347
1992-93 Isuzu Trooper Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ White
Switched 12V+ Blue/Yellow
Ground Chassis
Illumination Red/Green
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Brown/Red
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+) Brown/White
Left Front (-) Brown
Right Front (+) Red
Right Front (-) Green
Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Red
Left Rear (-) Red/Black
Right Rear (+) Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Blue

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 106
For a manual you can try going here and clicking on "user manuals", you'll need the model number of your deck.

As far as the tweeter insall goes, you're going to need a crossover in order to send only highs to the tweets or they'll sound like crap and most likely blow if you feed them any kind of power.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Derek i was wondering why the tweeters were making wierd noises when i plugged them into the speakers!can u explain a bit about crossovers?what do they look like and how do they work?sorry for the inconvenience!& pls try and answer my question about the watts of the tweeter in my 1st post

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 118
Very basically, a crossover divides up the signal it receives from your deck and sends the proper frequency bands to the desired driver. In a two way system (most low to mid-range component systems containing a midwoofer and a tweeter) the crossover dictates what signal the midwoofer and the tweeter receive, allowing for a much cleaner sound as each driver is used to play only the frequency range it was designed for. Without a crossover, you end up with a lot of distortion and/or noise and often with blown speakers as they try and reproduce frequencies they weren't designed for. That's why almost all commonly available component speaker sets come with their own set of crossovers. Here are a couple of links to more information on crossovers:

the12volt.com article on passive crossovers <- Tons of great audio info there
Wikipedia entry about crossovers <-Usually a good starting point for research on most topics

In an attempt to answer your wattage question, I would say that the 250W on your tweeters is probably a max wattage number which is fairly useless (though 250W is quite high for a tweeter). The max wattage only indicates how much power a driver can handle in short bursts, not how much constant power you can or should feed them. You want to track down RMS numbers which will tell you how much constant power is optimal to power a given driver. RMS power range varies greatly on all speakers, but keep in mind that the RMS numbers don't indicate how "powerful" a driver is, only how much power it can take. The performance of any driver depends on how it is set up and how you power it. To give you an idea, a fairly standard power range for tweeters is around 2-40 Watts RMS, with a max power rating of maybe 100-120 Watts, meaning that to optimally drive that tweeter, they should be provided with 2-40 Watts of constant power from either the source unit (your JVC) or an external amp, and that for very short periods, they can handle up to 100-120 watts of power without failing.

I could be far more specific if I had more info about your situation. Brand and model number of your equipment would be helpful (deck, speakers - front and rear, tweeters). I'm also curious why you're looking to hook up separate tweeters to existing speakers, as they'll often have a built in tweeter. If you're looking to just gain more highs I can understand that, but I think you may be going about it the wrong way. I hope some of this helps.

Post Number: 4
Hey Darek thanks for going out of your way to explain the crossover, but im gonna need your expertise for some other issues if you don't mind. I was planning on hooking up seperate tweeters to my existing speakers at the back because i thought that they would make the sound clearer. I do not have an external amp and i dont think that i really want one. I don't want more than i already have. My JVC deck model is:KS-FX630R 35Wx4, and my CD box model is:CH-X200. My back speakers (Pioneer 160W MAX TS-G1611R Dual Cone speaker), which i recently bought, are not 3 way or two way speakers (im not sure, it doesn't say anything on the box). The front speakers are 3 way (Pioneer 120W TS-A1675). Even though the watts are lower on these front speakers they tend to give better sound than the back ones. Do you think i should put the 160W speakers in the front and put the 3-way 120W ones in the back? The Isuzu is pretty big from inside so i want the sound to be heard whereever you sit. Does a 3 way speaker mean that it has a tweeter built in? It sure looks like it does. Thats why i thought that if i add tweeters to the two back speakers they would sound just like the front ones but even better since they are more powerful. I thought that if i add a tweeter, the bass will be separted from the trebble. When i put high bass on the back speakers, the sound doesn't come very clear, but if i put strong bass on the front speakers the bass and the sound comes out pretty good. I hope the pics will help a bit. I just found today a new opening for a speaker on the front right passenger side. It is empty (you can see it in the picture) and it has a 13cm diameter. Should i add a new speaker to it? But if i add a new speaker there would be 3 speakers on the right side and only 2 on the left!! What do u advise me to do? The tweeters i have are not the best there is in the market (Nippon PT-110 Super high frequency 250W, the rest is in Italian!). I don't think you'll even find them on the internet but i think they should be just fine. By the way the wiring codes that were given to me are wrong or are for a different model. While i was cehcking today, i found that there are 4 wires in the front for each speaker and only 2 for the back? do i have to use all 4 on the front speakers? I noticed that on one side all 4 were used and on the other only 2 were used. Is there any way to test the wires to the speakers to see which one is positive or negative (like that screwdriver with a built in light bulb to detect current). How about the speakers? How do i know which input is for positive or for negative, it doesn't say anything on the speaker. Im guessing that the thick metal connecting piece is positive and the thinner one is negative. The JVC user manuals on the website have to be ordered and payed for. Do you know where i can get them for free in html format or in pdf format? Thanks in advance. The pictures cannot be uploaded for some reason if u want i can email them to you if u can give me ur email in some way or another

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 135
Alright John, here's what I've got for ya. I looked around and tried to find some info on your equipment but, as you suspected, I couldn't find anything about those tweeters nor did I locate anything much useful about your front speakers or your deck. I did discover that the back speakers are two way, but only in a very loose sense so I hesitate to even call them that. Also, they operate at 30W RMS (160W max), meaning they'll run optimally when provided with around 30W of power. I can tell you that the reason the front speakers sound better is that they are three way speakers, meaning they have what amounts to an internal crossover and three seperate drivers that reproduce the signal they are fed, giving you better separation and clearer sound. You're definately still a little fuzzy about wattage it seems, so let me try and break that down for you in terms of your equipment.

Your rear speakers will optimally run when provided with around 30W of continuous power (RMS power), your front speakers (from what little info I could track down online and with the max wattage numbers you gave me) are probably fairly similar so let's say they'll run optimally on 30W of power as well. Your deck is most likely rated at 35W x 4 MAX, meaning it most likely provides somewhere in the area of 10-15W RMS.

Most audio equipment is given a nominal or RMS rating AND a Max rating. Max ratings are used only to draw attention to equipment and indicate how much power a given piece of equipment provides (in the case or decks and amps) or can handle (in the case of speakers and subwoofers) in short burst and only for brief periods of time. Max numbers are useless in terms of setting up a system and should be almost completely ingnored. You are only interested in the RMS numbers which indicate how much power an amp or deck provides constantly or how much power a speaker or subwoofer can take continuously.

The wattage numbers you gave me for your speakers are meaningless in this case not only because they are Max ratings, but also becuase they are not an indication of how powerful the speakers are, only how much wattage they could take from a power source such as an amp. You have them set up correctly since, in my opinion, the front sound stage is far more important than the rear and you have three way speakers up front vs. two ways in the back. Both sets of speakers are getting the same amount of RMS power from your deck and the fronts only perform better because they are three way while the rears are two way. It also looks like the front speakers may be 6.75s while the rears are standard 6.5s meaning you get a bit better sound out of the fronts due to increased surface area.

I don't have the expertise to explain your wiring situation without actually being there in person. There may yet be someone on the board who can help you with that, but unfortunately it's not my strong suit.

Here are my overall thoughts on your situation. First, you may want to look into a differnt deck. With that older JVC tape deck you're really not putting out much power at all and I doubt it provides much adjustability. I know you're determined not to get any more equpiment, but honestly, you may not have a choice if you're looking to improve your sound. Most modern cd decks put out between 18 and 24 watts RMS x 4 so you'd almost certainly notice an imediate improvement. I don't know if you can return your tweeters, but it would be in your best interest, if you're that concerned with your rear speakers, to look into getting a set of component 6.5s that would come packaged with a seperate tweeter and crossover. Both wiring and installation would be much easier and would probably provide the imporved clarity you're looking for. Personally, I'm always in favor of improving the front soundstage but if you're already happy with it, I understand why you're looking to work on the rears. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy way to simply add tweeters to those rear speakers. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I certainly couldn't walk you through the process and it seems like there are infanately easier (if not cheaper) options. Sorry I don't have better news for you but if there are other specific questions I missed feel free to ask.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us