How would using a ported box and a sealed box in the same car sound

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 79
right now i have 2 cvr's in a ported box and im probly gonna add 2 more but i can only fit a sealed box in my trunk with the ported box so do you think that would sound good or do you think it would sound like sh*t?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1089
like sh!t

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
thats all i can fit in there though u think i should do that or leave it how it is

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 798
why not put in 4 sealed?

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 958
i think u should make ur ported boxes smaller in order to fit 3 ported boxes.......there are ways u just need to plann it out

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 187
if you want 4 subs, put them all in a sealed box. otherwise, just stick with the 2

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 310
What kinda car u got?

Bronze Member
Username: Lordvicadin

Post Number: 11
2 cvr's in a seal box wouldbe good ,really good. i have 2 in a seald box and it is very nice. ported is ok but the box needs to be larger. given the same wattage and volume , ported would be louder , but onlyin rthe freqency range. anything under the freq range( say like 48 hz) it becomes unladed and the speaker flopps about like it is NOT in a box at all . thats the disadvantage to the seald ported thing..

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1211
2 in a quality built ported enclosure has the potential to be louder than all four in a sealed enclosure. Polo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
thats why im not puttin 4 in a sealed im making a custom ported box that hold 4 12's and is gonna take up my whole trunk and there gonna face up and i got a dodge stratus so the trunk is pretty big

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4818
how about one box for four subs and use fiberfill. That can boost your box volume alot and still alow you to go ported heres a site on how to know how much to use based on box size

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8185
if u port with pvc pipe the box will be alot smaller than if u slot port ...

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 422
ya, do what sean said. build smaller ported boxes for all 4 of them, then use that filling. i think that filling in your box can make your subs think they are in a box up to 30% bigger.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4819
Dividing your chambers is one thing I forgot to remember. Dividing the chambers is good not only for support but also good if one or two of your subwoofers blow. Using the wesite I provided should help you downsize alot even with the extra width of the dividing dividing chambers.

Rovin..."if u port with pvc pipe the box will be alot smaller than if u slot port ...)

A) I agree. Also if your really crunched for space or just plain want to get creative you could port using pvc externally rather than the traditional inside the box approach. I'll see if I can find you the site to illustrate what I mean.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4820
here you goUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 4821
I made a joke once on this subject about making header pipes using this approach. If you were using say one sub you could make one functional and the rest nonfunctional to create the appearance you want and you could paint the pipes or use whatever material you wanted overtop of the pvc. An example might be using fiberglass over the pvc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
would it be just as good making the box face up instead of facing the subs toward the back of the trunk?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
when putting the pvc pipe in would it be better to put it on the top of the box where the subwoofers are or on the sides and should i use one for each sub? also how do i know what it would be tuned to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
what kind of wood should i use and what kind of glue should i use? is there anything else you use to hold it together?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us