Polyfill - Ported Boxes - Tuning - and You!

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1163
Curious, since adding polyfill has a similar effect to making your box larger - can this actually hurt a ported box, by changing the tuning?? Also, if it does change tuning, could you use a certain amount and secure it inside your port (maybe with some kind of screen etc) to make it act like your port takes up more space? Just wondering..

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 222
If your box was built to specs in the first place it shouldn't be done. It would probably do more bad than good. If isn't built to specs rebuild it.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1166
Thank you for not answering my question. :-P

So it does then, change the tuning? Assuming that's what you're saying by 'more bad than good'.

Reason I asked is because if it would work (and finding a common measurement for it would be the tough part, I'm sure.. i.e. how much weight in polyfill etc) you could build pretty small ported boxes, and just use poly in the box and the port, and save a ton of space for the people in small cars, while still getting the performance of a large ported enclosure.

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 226
You could if you were going for a generic enclosure but if you wanted it exact, like you said, it would be nearly impossible to make everything even out. Polyfil makes the box seem ABOUT 10% bigger. It would work but it would throw tuning off.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3136
well polyfill is for sealed boxes... they disapate heat.. "themaldynamics" in a sealed box it absobs standing waves... Make the subs cooler, thinkin its in a "bigger box"

in a ported box, there are NO standing waves... I dont think polyfill will effect the tuning... It is NOT recomended for ported enclosures.... but Ive read people who stuck lil peices on the inner ports... but still there are NO standing waves...
little results...

Its really only for sealed boxes..

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1201
There are standing waves in a ported box, usually in corners away from the porting and yes it is possible to use a dampener of sort but polyfill is not a good choice. If you are looking to get rid of bad resonance or such yous fiberglass matting and staple it to the walls, won't create too much turbulance inside which can and will hurt SPL. Wanna get rid of standng waves get rid of corners, lol. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1204
Before anyone says anything, technically speaking it is impossible to create standing waves in a mobile enclosure do to the small sizes. Typically in order for a standing wave to exist the distance between parallel boundaries must be 1/2 the wavelength of the frequency at which the standing wave exists.Considering that sub-bass waves vary from 56.4 feet (20 Hz) to 11.28 feet (100 Hz), the generation of a standing wave is going to be impossible. Now with this out in the open, it IS possible to create standing waves through upper order harmonics (caused by distortion) but this can be absorbed by either polyfill, fiberglass insulation (pink stuff) of carefully placed braces. I have been busy reading my Cookbook because I am getting ready to build a box for my new Treo SSX 15 when it gets here. I have learned a lot from guys here, Mark Potts from TCAB and numerous books that once were giving me headaches but now are starting to make sense. Polo.. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

USA

Post Number: 363
Polo what are some of them book names? I'm most likely gona be ordering 2 12" CVX's tomorow or tuesday and would like to get some info and reading in for a good box for them.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3147
what Polo said seems to make alot of sense... :-)

hey buddy, Ill tell you more about that SSX this week! should be coming in this week or next... :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us