Amp and power questions

Username: Danny_in_tx

Post Number: 1
First, thank you to anyone with experience who helps me out with these questions.

I have a bowrider boat that has a stero but inaudible once we got the engine running. I don't want anything killer...just decent.

I will get 2 amps, one 4 way for highs and a mono for that sub.

I think a 200.4 to a 350.4 kicker should work for the speakers. ($80-150 ebay). Any suggestions on another brand or amp setup?

For the sub, a 12" Infinity Refernce DVC 300 RMS, I was thinking of a 300.1 mono amp. ($110-180 ebay) Here is where I am unsure. Is this a mix match of ohms? I think the sub is 4 ohms and mono amps are 2 ohms. Does this mean my amp will just really push the sub closer to 600 watts or am I backwards? I don't really have room for two subs due to where my amps have to go. Also, is 1.3-1.5 cubic feet too much for one 12"? This is about the space I have that will work with the box I'm going to build and the area I have and amp mounting space. (Don't want to screw into the deck of the boat). A prefabricated box won't look right or sit well because the deck is off white and has a contour diagonal across the space with one side 2" higher than the other and a max of 20" side to side.

The dude at the stereo shop here said I could put 8 gauge power cables from the two amps to a power block and run a single 4 gauge cable to my battery. Is this right? I also want a separate stereo battery, he suggested a "yellow top" and a battery isolator switch so I don't kill my engine battery if playing while engine is off.

Also, I don't intend on getting "marine" grade amps or subs. Is this a major problem? I usually just go on the lake and the boat is stored indoors. I figure if enough water gets in to hurt my equipment, I've got bigger problems than my stereo. The clarion marine speakers in it now are already contorted and the cones are decomposing and the boat is an '01.

Any help or advice on different brands or setups is really appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1154
Heh.. :-) Kicker KX200.2's are on sale right now at hifisoundconnection.com :-) If you dont mind refurbs, they're under $50 each. (70w RMS x2). can pick up two of them for cheaper than an equiv 4 channel amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us