MDF and HDF.

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 320
i know A LOT of people use MDF for building boxes, but i saw a box that someone built, and it looked like it was high density. the holes for the subs were used a lot more, and the wood didnt split at all, like MDF does a lot. i was wondering has anyone else used HDF?

im looking to build a box soon, and im wonderin if i should use it or not?????

Bronze Member
Username: Budling

Cali USofA

Post Number: 90
or maybe even SDF Super density fiberboard?

Bronze Member
Username: Budling

Cali USofA

Post Number: 91
made with eucalyptus fibers.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 947
You will be fine with mdf. But i havn't really seen mdf split when you drill it on the surface. You might have seen plywood, or maybe im not getting what you are describing.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 328
no, you got what i was saying. i have a box that is MDF, and the holes got ripped up after putting subs in and then out a few times. this other box that this guy has, looked to be HDf and it wasnt carpeted, and the holes for the subs still loooked fine.

Silver Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 949
Yeah, that is the bad thing about mdf, they do that quik. You can get a new panel board or rotate the sub and make new holes.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 330
yeah thats true. but have u seen an hdf box? i know the box i saw had subs put in and out at least like 10 times, and the holes werent ripped up..

i think im just going to use mdf though.

Silver Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 950
Yeah, i would think hdf would cast alot of money. PLywood doesn't do that so easy, and they come in REAL smooth grade, just as good as mdf, though it is $40-$50 while mdf is $20. If you would like i could build a box for you. go to my email address on my profile and email me if your interested.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 524
HDF, High density fiber board is used for signs and stuff. When driving down the highway, those big exit signs? those are HDF. It used outside mostly. It would work fine for a sub box. The price is why mostppl dont use it. For box applications, MDF is just as stable and half the price.

Silver Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 952
I also meant to tell you i will email some of my previous boxes to show what i can do.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1199
Use 5/16" blind nuts with cap head screws, you will never have a problem again! Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 678
i use 2.5" thick UHDF (ultra high density fiberboard), reinforced with 1" concrete with 1" thick steel vented supports to build all of my boxes. It's quite heavy but it doesn't flex. :-)

Silver Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 961
Are you serious?^^3.5" thick?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2534
alex...hes joking...i guarntee u

Silver Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 965
lol i was kind of thinking that, but i heard some people use concrete in their vans at spl comps to block soundwaves or something.

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 182
I used these flush mount screw in anchors with hex bolts. I had to make sure I drilled the holes perfectly, because the mounting holes in the subs were just big enough for the bolts, but it works so well, and looks sweet. I almost didn't want to put the trim gasket on my type- r's and cover it all
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us