2 way or 3 ways?

Bronze Member
Username: Splinter00

Post Number: 25
Ok, im probably looking for a little bit more power than quality, but still a decent ammount of quality. The speakers will be going in the front door pannels, i already have a sub so im not going to be replacing the back ones quite yet. im going to be getting coaxial just because i dont want all the hassel of the amp and all the extra stuff, i just wanna plug n' play. now, would 2 ways or 3 ways be better for more power? theres a 2 way set alpine for 88$ or a 3-way set of alipine for 119$. can 3-ways be coaxial so you just have to plug them in and play them or what? im kinda new for this audio, all i got is my sub and amp in, so i dont no much about the actuall speakers yet, so someone help me out which would be a better choice for power?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Here are the speakers and there specs, the 2-way ones are first then the 3-ways:

Converts to Components No
Frequency Response 35Hz - 18kHz
Impedance Rating 4 Ohms
Mounting Depth 1 5/8"
Power Handling 160 Watts
Product Dimensions 18.5(W) x 8.6(H) x 35.9(D) cm
Product Weight 1.12 kg
Recommended Power Range 160 Watts
Sensitivity 92dB
Speaker Size 6 1/2"
Speaker Type 2-Way
Tweeter Protection Circuit Info Not Available
Tweeter Size 1 5/8"
Tweeter Style Whizzer
Woofer Material IMPP
Woofer Surround Material Composite

Converts to Components No
Frequency Response 35Hz - 22KHz
Impedance 4 Ohms
Impedance Rating 4 Ohms
Mounting Depth 1 5/8"
Power Handling 220 Watts
Product Dimensions 37.0(W) x 11.0(H) x 19.4(D) cm
Product Weight 1.75 kg
Recommended Power Range 220 Watts
Sensitivity 92dB
Speaker Size 6-1/2"
Speaker Type 3-Way
Tweeter Size 1 5/8"
Tweeter Style Soft Cone
Woofer Material IMPP
Woofer Surround Material Rubber

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 245
3 way coax is a load of crap:-) (so is the 4 way and the 5 way coax and coax in general):-)
If you want plug n' play you are not gonna get a lot of power or quality.

What brand speakers are those anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1151
Mounting Depth 1 5/8"
Power Handling 160 Watts

Mounting Depth 1 5/8"
Power Handling 220 Watts

------------------------------

Guessing by that, these are some cheap speakers, that are claiming they can handle that many watts. (in reality, have a very low RMS wattage)

Either that, or they're some VERY nice (For coaxial) (chances are VERY expensive)speakers. I'm interested if it's only 1 and 5/8" deep, but can handle 220 watts RMS. :-D

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2331
also, on the first speakers, where it says "Tweeter Style Whizzer", thats what most stock speakers have. its not a real tweeter and you'll get nothing great from it at all.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3114
Whizzer? Is that where they just make the dust cap into the shape of a funnel?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
well they are both pioneer, but i got the second pair, and there only 50rms, but before i couldnt hear my factory speakers over my sub and now i can so i guess thats all that matters to me, but since the rear and front are the same size, if i ever get some more money i will buy and amp and a pair of components for the front and move these to the back.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 904
don't even spend money on a whizzer. thats a waste. But a good set of coaxs are two ways. Anything larger is more of a marketing gimic. Look at the JL's, Eclipse Point Source coaxs, Pioneer Rev's, and the sort, they are all two way. Just get a good set of coax's instead of a flashy piece of poo.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2336
Jexx - a Whizzer Tweeter is basically a pocket of metallic filliments in the paper cone i think. most will have the funnel shape deal around them, yes. all i know is that they don't sound good at all because its not a true dome tweeter or any kind thats capable of accurately reproducing the highs the way they are suppose to be.

Alpine Typs S coaxials (last years model, don't know about the new models) aren't bad, but you can't put any kind of real power on them.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 906
New Type S's are ok but not great, very dull on the highs and too overemphasized on the lows. At my store we have MTX, Alpine, Pioneer Rev, Ken and Excelon and some others. Usually MTX has the brightest highs but needs to be pushed hard to get some bass, Alpines have more mids but dull highs, entry Kenwood is flat on everything and the Execelon's are pretty good all round. Also we have the JL's but they are much more expensive than the others but worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3899
Alteraudiousa, how are the Pioneer REV's for a 2 way 6x9 for the rear of my 1995 Mitsu Montero off HU power ?

I was looking at the Type R 6x9 and the Pioneer REV 6x9

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 254
FORGET about 6x9's

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1167
avoid the pioneer REV series!! I had two sets of the 6.5's. One speaker completely froze up, the others sounded great for about 2 months, now they're garbage. They cant handle the 65 watts they claim even. :-( I was very dissappointed with these.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us