A few questions about nice componets.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1111
Ok, so currently, I'm in the market for some new 5.25" componets (with a 1" tweeter) to go into my custom kicks.. My price range is between $175 and $250 give or take a few $10.

I know a lot of people recomend the JL audio VR series in this price range, but something I was wondering about, is they claim to only be able to handle 60 watts RMS.. Would these be loud enough to keep up with a daily driver hitting a little over 150 dB? (at 44ish hz) I'm replacing some Infinity Kappa 50.7CS, that handled 85 RMS, but IMO were very lacking in a lot of aspects..

Would these JL VR series be louder with 60 watts, than the Infinity's with 85? I know that sensitivity helps, but in a lot of cases, even with a lower sensitivity, (at least when it comes to subwoofers) and less watts, the sub still ends up louder.. Is this the same with componets?

I dont want to end up getting something that's quieter than the kappa's, however I do want better sound quality.. Any advice on some componets to look into guys?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
Bump.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3695
Try looking at some DLS Magnesium Drivers:-):-)

I beleive they run in the $200 range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3696
http://www.dls.se/english/index.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 3697
http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/ms5a.htm

try that one for the direct link to the set.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 886
are these going to be your main set of speakers or do you have some in the doors also? If this is not your main set or you can put a midbass driver in the door i'd go with a set of CDT EF-51Neo's which are shallow mount and do well with small space. Also I would look into a set of Hybrid Audio L3 as these have good extension and can do well to cover the midrange.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
Alteraudiousa, I'll be running some MB Quart PCE 164 midbass woofers for rearfill, and will not be using speakers in my door, just kicks.

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 887
do you have spaces in the doors? Your kicks unless you can make a lot of room will not give good midbass due to air restrictions. I would put a small directional driver in there and use the door to facilitate a larger midbass driver say only up to 315hz. The kick offers very good imaging if you point them correctly. As for rear fill those MB's will do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1134
Alteraudio, you think I should use both my door mounts, and my rear mounts for midbass only drivers? So pretty much use all my factory speaker locations for midbass drivers, use a good set of componets in my kicks, and then just have the subs in the rear (of course)?

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 889
no rear mids unless you really need it. what car you have?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1136
A 1999 Firechicken.

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 890
for that i'd just use a good frontstage and no rears, T top right?. I would still use the door locations and put a set of good midbass drivers in there(doors, haven't checked size and don't remember what size the doors are but), the L3 and tweet in the kicks, and use your MB for some rearfill if needed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1138
Alteraudio, why not use the MB for my doors? (They're excellent sole-purpose midbass drivers) They're 6.5" in the doors.

And you'd recommend the L3 over the CDT's? I do VERY much like how shallow the CDT's are, as it'll make it much easier having my kick panels be flush and look more professional, as the kappa's I was using, the magnent rested against the car..

However - where can I find more info on the Hybrid Audio L3's? (I'm assuming that's the legaitia (sp?)) On their website www.hybrid-audio.com it makes it seem like they havnt been released yet, while I know they have...

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 891
the L3 I believe is shipping. I'm talking to Scott about a group buy but I wasn't going to do it until I finished reviewing them. The CDT's are great and either will do well. The L3's are quite nice, on par with the HDs or even the ES's. The L3 offers a very uniqueness that the HD-4s don't or other CDT drivers. Its IB and doesn't need a lot of depth to it. Heck, cut a small hole in the door panel, stiffen up the panel around the hole with dynamat and some padding and screw the L3 into a wooden bracket behind the door panel and you'd have anicer driver right up on you. But yes thats their website.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2321
i went with three ways due to lack ot mid bass from kick panel mounted drivers and lack of foot room. kicks with the 4 inch mids and 1 inch tweeters and put the 6.5 inch mid bass drivers in the stock door locations. might wanna think about that Seth unless that will end up costing you too much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1139
Ok, I took Alteraudio's advice and ordered my CDT's today. (The EF-51Neo's). I also then bought a kicker KX200.2 amplifier to power them.. On paper, it looks like it should be a pretty good match.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us