3-way components?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigsim

Post Number: 91
Should I buy a 3-way component set? I'm not going to do kicks or anything like that, so the midrange would most probably go in my dash. Will this just jumble the sound up? I'm also going to get them 'professionally' installed, I'm not doing them myself.
Let me know!!

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 296
unless your really picky youd probly just be better off with a 2 way comp set. talk to brandon hes got 3 way rainbows and like them alot though

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2282
a 3 way set really isn't going to be any better then a 2 way if your not gonna spend the time and/or money on the install. theres a lot more involved and you really are kinda forced into kicks to have room for the third driver. its possible to get good results putting the midrange in the dash, tweets in the pillar and mid bass in the stock door location, but i'm not sure how or what you'd have to adjust to do so. i'm sure you'd need some TA, phase adjustments and prob something else for that. Jonathan can prob explain that better.

i went with 3 way's because of leg room. i love kick panel installs, but a 6.5 inch woofer takes up a lot of foot room in kicks. a 4 inch, not so much. plus, my stock door location where i put the 6 inch mid bass is very close to the kicks, so everythings comming from the same area. no seperation from the different drivers.

for the most part, a 2 way set will be more then sufficient.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/220116.html
theres some pics of the kicks and mid bass in that thread if you want to take a look.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Yeah, I didn't think in-dash would be ideal, but it's nice to have confirmation. It's not the cost that concerns me, it's the fact that the car they're in won't be garaged, and I imagine a kick panel install says 'steal me' a lot more than an install in the stock door/dash locations.

I was originally bidding on a set of Polk SR6500's on ebay, but the price got a bit out of hand for me, and I don't know that the tweeters would have fit on my sail panel anyway.

Brandon, I read one of your threads posted ages ago where you were asking about good comps to get, and Jonathan recommended the Rainbows for good, punchy midbass, so I guess I'll look at the Rainbow 2 ways as well. Other than that, I was looking at the Iridium 6.3s for a 3 way install, so yeah I dunno, any further ideas are welcome.

When I think about it, I guess your typical car stereo thief would be looking for rear speakers more than anything, so I might think about kick panels, but I'm not sure. My HU arrives next week, so I might get it hooked up to my stock speakers and think about it a bit more.

Thanks for your help guys :-)

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2296
actually, you can't even see my kicks from the outside of the car. gotta be sitting in it to see them and even then people over look them. i have to point them out to keep people from putting their feet on them, not that they would be damaged from that, just the fact that i don't want them blocked, lol. respect the rainbows.

Jonathan likes the Polk SR's, but i haven't messed with them enough to really have a decient opinion. but on a sound board, they didn't sound any better then the JL Zr's that were next to them. and the ZR's really aren't that much better then the XR's. Rainbows are great. best speakers i've had so far, but they are expencive. mid bass is killer and Rainbow makes a "kick bass" version that has even more emphasis on the mid bass.

how much did the Polk SR's you were watching that got too "pricey" for you get to??

you definally get what you pay for, so don't skimp if you really want something you will be happy with and keep for a while.

what kind of HU did you get??

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 867
install is always one of the most deciding factors for SQ or for really getting the benefits of a good set of speakers. I like 3 way setups as one, it allows the driver to play more efficiently in a choosing you like or what plays best for the driver. It also allows for very good imaging getting the more directional frequencies in better spots. I am awaiting my Legatia L3's to put into my car to replace my 5.25s and hopefully adding in a 2nd set of ES-600 to give me some crazy midbass. But if doing a 3waysetup you need the right equipment and the proper install. If you don't you won't really get the benefits of it.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7396
hey alter, are u going to sale, ur cdt's??? if so how much....also u said u had a kick panel from an old alero do u still have them???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
The SR's got to about $340, but they were used, and like I said I wasn't sure whether the tweeter would fit where I wanted so I didn't want to pay too much. All in all, I think I'd be willing to pay around $600 Australian, which works out to about $450 US, including shipping. I'm not in a huge hurry, so I might wait for some rainbows to show themselves on ebay, or even some 6.3 iridiums (or nobeliums, even better, so I hear).

Alteraudio, I'd be sure to check out my local car sound shop before I made any commitments to buying any sets, ask them about their experience with 3-way installs, etc..

My HU is a p8650mp which is an Australian version p860mp, I had my heart set on a p880prs but the 860 was new, and also $200 cheaper, so I thought 'why not' :-)

I guess I'll do a bit more research into kick panels and stuff, and see what I come up with.

One more thing: it doesn't lower your sound stage heaps to have the tweeters and the mids in the kicks like you have them Brandon?

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 868
sorry,don't have the kicks from the Alero anymore. I modded them up to house the HD-5 and then sold them to a guy driving a Grand Am. I may sell my CDTs. The ES-600 have the drt-25 braxial mount on them. I think I would sell them without crossover for about 300$. I could get a crossover but just have to see which one you want for them. The Es-600 are in awesome condition. Used a slightly smaller screw with a big head on it so there's minimal signs of usage and only small cracks in the paint around the mounting holes. Are you wanting them? I'll think about it since the L6 aren't out yet but I don't need the braxial mounted tweets anymore.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us