Kicker amps suck

Bronze Member
Username: 30hrtz

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 37
ive always liked kicker subs.Ive got a 10 in L5 now running off a profile 600m, 420 rms x1 at 2 ohms.I decided to "upgrade" to a kicker kx400.1 since cheap amp like profile are usually over rated and kickers are under rated.well i unhooked the profile and hooked up the kicker in about 30 min.I knew right away that it wasnt going to be as loud or clear.had all the settings the same too.the kicker wasnt hitting on much,turned the gain and bass up,still wasnt as loud as the profile.im gonna send that kicker back and stick w/cheap profile.

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 546
wut are the ratings on thhe kicker????

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 12
you probly have it hooked up at 4 ohms it is only 200 rms at 4 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1324
kicker would make ur subs pound way more than ur profile amp. i bet u didnt wire it to.

if u had the sub hooked up to 2 ohms, then u have the DVC 4 ohm sub. which means that the kx400.1 amp = 200W x 1 @ 2 Ohm.

which mean that you were supposed to be giving that subs 450 watts, but instead, u were giving it 200. wayyyyyyyyy under powering. thats why it sounded bad

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 498
LMAO!!!

Comparing Profile amps to Kicker amps? Are you kidding? I've owned both. Profile sucks. There is no comparison between the two. Kicker walks all over Profile, by a mile...

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1334
My statement showed wy it didnt pound

Bronze Member

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 38
bassman,your statement showed you dont know what youre talking about.ya if i had it wired at 4ohms,it wouldnt be as loud.its wired at 2 ohms,i used the exact same 2 wires to hook it up.I built the box,and know how to wire a mono amp.my sub is dual 4 ohm,got pos to pos to amp pos .neg to neg to amp neg. 2 ohm load.the kicker amp just sucks,maybe i got a weak one.the spec sheet said 444 watts at 2 ohms.my profile says 420 watts at 2 ohms.I should have known when kicker recomended atleast an 8 guage power and ground something wasnt gonna be right.the profile said use 4 guage period.the kicker amp sounds distorted at really low freq.dont know,but i used all the same wires.oh i forgot to mention the kicker is a refurb. from hifi sound connection.

Bronze Member

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 39
all 4 guage wires,i used.

Gold Member
Username: Goatin

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1198
No, no, Your sub is wired to 2 ohms.
the kicker amp is

400rms @ 1ohm
200rms @ 2ohm
100rms @ 4ohm
50 rms @ 8ohm

You are running your amp in 2 ohm because profile could not handle 1 ohm it was wired down to 2.

There is nothing you can do unless you get a 2ohm DVC sub and wire it to 1 ohm.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1362
those are the specs that i got david. so dont say that i dont know what i am talkin about

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2954
if those the specs, the kicker does 200rms, so ur seen half the power, to take full advantage of that amplifier... David needs to change his sub to a DUAL 2 ohm, and wire it down to a 1ohm load to get full power from that amp...

OR

change that amp to a kicker 600 or 800, maybe u get 500rms @ 2ohms instead....

Bronze Member

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 40
the kx400.1 is only 2 ohm stable.not 1 only the kx1200.1 is 1 ohm stable in this series of amps.i wish it wash 1 ohm stable and i was only getting half the power cuz if it was only putting out 200 watts right now thatd be good.dont get me wrong,its pretty loud but not as loud as the profile.the specs on the kicker kx400.1 are 200rms@4ohms 400rms@2ohms sorry rave'n ive got it right here.maybe cuz its a refurb its not as good,maybe i can upgrade to the kx600.1 im sure thatd do the trick.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1378
oh my bad than. there were a couple of diff sites that said that its was 400 x 1 @ 1 ohm. my bad dude, internet posting false info. i guess rave'n saw the same specs as i did

so yea, i dont know why it isnt poundin then. it could be because its refurb... but it shouldnt be. if u did get the kx600.1, that would pound quite nicely. sorry for the mix up man

Bronze Member

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 42
no prob thanx for all the feedback,im gonna call hifi sound in the morning and see if i can send the 400 back and work somthin out on the 600 or get a refund.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 320
maybe you got a bad refurb... its possible. anyway, my kicker kx600.1 on my RE SX12 fuqin slams. sorry you had some bad luck with kicker, but they still kick azz in my book.

Bronze Member

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 43
thanks two4fifteen,i just exchanged it/sent it back and upgraded to the kx600.1.I hope it does slam hard.if it does i will get a 12 inch solo.instead of the 10 i got now.

Bronze Member
Username: Ford150nite

Delray Beach, Fl Westplam

Post Number: 23
KICKER IS THE BEST DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us