Boston z6

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3033
how are these components? and are they worth the money? ive been looking into jl xr 3 ways. jl zr650s and the z6. possibly the dls iridium 6.2 also now that they are available on ebay for 460. i want extremely loud components to do the best at keeping up with a high 140s daily setup and GREAT sq at the same time. i was thinking of getting tang bands or possibly mpyre midbasses to go with them also. and will 150w rms be enough for a z6? the site says 20-400w. thanks alot guys.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2243
the Z6's will get loud and can take a ton of power. they sound decient, but lack midbass like most boston comps do. you'd definally need to add midbass speakers with thoes. i wouldn't pay $999 for them.

the ZR650's and the XR 3 ways sound very simular. hard to tell the difference in a show room. the install would make or break them in the car. 3 ways will take a little more time and effort.

haven't heard the DLS's, so can't say.

i've had the XR 3 ways and have a friend who uses them in a SQ Comp car. they sound nice and will keep up fine with 150 watts in a 140Db setup. i had them run off a JL300/2. i got the Rainbows now powered by Zapco 350.2

look into any other options for speakers Trevor??
what kind of budget are you looking at??

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 175
I shall say that Iridiums would sound better than Z6's or the JL's. Iridiums have 3" voice coils for the midbass, they can take some "juice". I have heard XR 2way in a car and it sounded like a $100 comp set, actually, my MBQ RSD213 sounded better so that tells you something. I haven't heard Z's in a car, however, I know some Z's users that have switched to DLS after listening to Iridium. 150W RMS or more to a side should to the trick.

You could also look into Morel Integra Ovation or Morel Elate (call around for the best price, some dealers in Cali will give a great deal). I have seen Hybrid Ovations powered with Arc 300W RMS to a side, they can take some juice. If money is not a problem, look into using Supremo tweets (instead of stock) with Morel set. Supremo will not break up even if you put 200W to a tweet. You crank those things and think when will they start breaking up, but they simply don't and they are among the best tweets on earth (install is a b!tch though)

Username: Mvw2

Post Number: 8
I wish I heard those JLs. However, from most of the posts I've come across, they're good, but for the price, there's probably better.

I run a set of Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite 6.5" components(Morel-based speaker like the Iridiums). I feed them a full 300w rms, and they couldn't be happier. The speaker will bottom out before any thermal issues. With that much on tap, movement is effortless. Despite being pretty efficient Morels do like a bit of power when you turn up the volume, especially if you're trying to squeeze bass out of them. I've run them at home when new off 10 and 50w home audio stuff I have lying around. I've run them in my car off 75w when I was playing around with active and a full 300w with my 4 channel bridged and running the passive xovers. You might want to feed any Morel or Morel based sets you get with at least a health 150w or more for solid output.

I will point out they're not bass heavy, rather laid back below 150Hz. If you keep them crossed around 100Hz or above, they will play quite loud very happily.

You may consider the PG route for cost. They're selling their discontinued Ti Elite sets, woofers only or woofers + xover, dirt cheap on Ebay through their Phoenix Gold Direct store, $160, $225 respectively if my mind serves me right. For a Morel speaker, that's a steal. Then just find some robust tweeters to match. I run a set of ScanSpeak D2904/6000 tweeters, but a higher end Morel tweeter should do very well if you want to stay with a single brand.

If you don't mind buying raw drivers or buying/build a xover(or going active), look into what Seas has to offer. Their drivers are top quality and offer impressive excursion for solid output. This is the only option I'm considering as an upgrade to my Morels.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobimpact

Post Number: 19
I run ZRs, Z6s in my board, and I prefer the ZRs, much better on rock, a TON more midbass. Check out Focal's 165K2Ps as well, for my money their better than both of these speakers.

Username: Sk8tr220

Florida USA

Post Number: 2
has anybody heard of Jl w4-8's

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5999
Z6: Best out of the box component system of this comparison IMO. The drivers and especially the crossover is better tailored to most car audio installs, particularly when installed in a stock door location like 99% of installs will be. Power hungry set, 150W would be the least I ran on Z6s. I'd prefer a clean 300W+ on them preferably.

ZRs: Good set, but not so much better than the XRs that they can really justify the price tag. Quirky with the install as well, if you don't set them up well they won't sound as good. Basically they aren't the best off axis performers.

DLS: As a 2 way they're "ok". There's an obvious hole between the midbass and tweeter. The 3 ways are a whole different story. Passive crossover is half decent. A better two way IMO would be the Dynaudio sets. 3 ways, on the other hand, are much better mated to one another and really easy to set up.

On a side note, a 3" wide voice coil doesn't really net any large gains. The primary benefit is power handling, but you can achieve power handling with a longer coil while gaining a larger stroke at the same time (and the resultant lower distortion, potentially higher BL, etc.). The surface area of the voice coil determines power handling, and IMO it's more desirable to have a driver with a longer stroke and a smaller diameter voice coil than the opposite. There is the argument that a large voice coils have better control over the cone, mainly due to added rigidity to the diaphragm due to the larger surface area of the bond with the cone, which becomes irrelevant when you pair it with a floppy paper or poly cone.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3040
thanks guys, ive been in london and dublin for a while so i havent been online at all. im coming back to america on 666.... kinda creepy... im looking to spend about 550 or less on front component set and like 200 for the rear. i have a big SUV so i dont want just one set in the front. also, 300w per channel is quite costly so i dont know if i can do that. i want to use JL slash amps. but ayways i have to go eat i will be back prolly next week thanks for your inputs!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us