Is JL Audio going to come out with a W8?

Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 3
I waz just wandering cause the W7 r just too good oh and by the way when r those ''A'' series amps coming out

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 102
Nope Never

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2246
the W7's aren't that great IMO. there are too many other brands out that can easily match or beat them in SQ and SPL for a lot less.

no idea when thoes amps are comming out though.

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 341
What about a W7v2?? are any of those coming out?? Why you say no W8s ever?

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Post Number: 197
i heard on another thread that jl might be building either a 15" or 18" version of the w7 that will take 2000w rms or more. probably be over $1000 easily

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7168
rumor

I also heard that they are coming out with a 2000/1

and it is 1ohm stable, so 1-4

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1048
nothing new will come out until early 2007 so dont get too excited.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 737
Basically JL spends a lot of time R+D to create their flagship model, so that when it comes out, it stands as the king for years. Rather than a company who just releases new models year after year, tweaking this, adjusting that, you never know what year will be the best model.

Why do you think a subwoofer that has been out for like 5 years is still getting all the attention and hype even today? Because it was researched for years.

When they do come out with a new flagship subwoofer, you can bet that they spent a few years perfecting it.

If I had to guess, I would say JL is absolutely doing R+D on a new sub that takes 1500+ watts as we speak. That is the part of the market that they are currently losing.

With all these brands offering huge RMS numbers, of course the uneducated will believe they are better subs than the W7.

Everything that JL does has a clear purpose, and the fact that they haven't released anything that handles more than 1000 watts can lead us to believe that they did not feel there was enough of a market for one. And in that regard, they are right. But, seeing as how subwoofers and mobile audio are growing more and more popular every day, it is safe to say that JL has a new subwoofer in the works that will set a new benchmark.

Also, with all the comparison's on a daily basis of subs that can handle 3000 watts being compared to the W7 (which speaks volumes as to the outstanding performance, that it is even being compared to subs that take over three times the power), just think about the new comparisons after the new JL King Kong subwoofer is released. I can see the forum topics now "What is louder, JL12w8 or RE XMX 18, getting 10,000wrms?" LOL

Moral of the story; JL is the best out there. They make a better product than any other company to date. They will continue to do so into the forseable future. One last thing, with the new price gouging from companies like RE and Treo, JL should no longer be considered overpriced.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 780
extremely well put Lewass I couldn't agree more everything you said was right on the money. Great post.

Silver Member
Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon

Post Number: 123
yeah, what the f|_|ck is with RE. I emailed them for a price on the RE SE and they said 345.00!!! Thats alot more than here https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/190183.html
when it was 169.00!! I was going to pick two up if i could get them for 169, but now im not sure

Bronze Member
Username: Akula_class

Post Number: 67
x2 Lewass Very well said.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 196
"stands as the king for years" (maybe to the general public, mainstream audio demand)
:-)

Username: Remotia

Post Number: 6
Lewass, you have very naive and internal perspective of subwoofers. JL's don't have high power handling because they use less turns on their VC's to reduce inductance. It has nothing to do with the market of whether or not over 1000 watts is marketable. You would have to be crazy to think high power handling subwoofers are not ideal, especially for newbies which seems to be the biggest market for JL Audio and other mainstream companies.

You are deriving conclusions based on what JL does or doest do, not based on any facts or logic. You appear to have this naive mentality of: "If JL did it, it must be right", opposed to, "it is right, and JL also did it". The later is the preferred and logical approach. When I was younger fanboy of several audio companies I also shared your mentality. I later realized it was wrong approach, but it was the exact one companies love because it builds loyalty. I'm not saying its bad to be loyal, but its bad to have blind faith in something because of a name.

JL's don't come out with new products because their old ones are selling. R&D has little to do with it, it's more or less market success vs. failure. There are better transducer technologies out there and there are even better subwoofers, many of which you wouldn't even know about. There are also plenty more being heavily worked on. I know of at least on company hat has already poured over 1,000,000 dollars into a new design and still don't have a final product because its completely new from the ground up, and its very difficult to prefect something that has never existed before. I doubt JL is doing much because what they have sells so well, they would be foolish to change anything. I'm guessing JL spends a lot more on marketing than R and D, but that's good sign of a successful company, its not a bad thing!

Whether or not they are the best is opinionated and I don't agree with it. In fact I can at least back up my option with measurements I have done. I work in the audio industry and I know the W7's are not he best drivers out there for neither SPL nor SQ, they may have the biggest name recognition, but we all know that means little in audio. Take a look at bose.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 205
That's what I like about ASDF, he keeps it real:-)
You blind JL followers should learn something from him.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1325
new guy who knows stuff. awesome!

Silver Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 138
lets keep in mind that the w7 has been out for a NUMBER of years barley or not at all tweaked. All these new subs are changin all the time.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2908
ASDF exactly my point of view!!

Some people think JL is the only company that does extensive testing on products...
Well TREO is alittle over 5years old now, and their FLAGSHIP sub still hasnt been put into production!! the TREO CRAZY = TREO CXT! This design has 5years of research and technology behind it, and still testing!

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3844
I will always represant the w6v2 line until i find a subwoofer that is as good in its class.

That is why my new setup is 2 10w6v2's. Just love these subs.

ID MAX's whould be my next choice.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2918
MO u still should have gotten them SSIs... too bad.. I just knew u would LOVE em... but whatever floats your boat, but keep the option available...

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 785
there may be much much better stuff out there than JL audio but at least w/ JL and other companies you can easily acess them find them and hear them. I think that all of these underground companies are useless for people who want to actually hear a product. I don't know of a single RE dealer for example any where near me. I can't believe these companies stay in business soley on word of mouth. At this point I wouldn't but any subwoofer that i haven't heard even if it was "the best" b/c it is ridiculous how these companies operate. If you ask me if these underground companies appear to be so "hardcore". Who cares just buy a frickin sub you personally like nobody cares about some company in germany or some where who makes the JL killer sub. I would rather buy from a well established and legitimate company. If someone is dissappointed in the way a JL sub performs then there is somethin wrong w/ you and you are way too serious about car audio.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 743
"It has nothing to do with the market of whether or not over 1000 watts is marketable. You would have to be crazy to think high power handling subwoofers are not ideal, especially for newbies which seems to be the biggest market for JL Audio and other mainstream companies."

You must be retarded. Anything over 1000 watts needs a high output alternator, wiring upgrades, better battery, etc. You say that high power handling subs (and we are talking about the w7 so you are obviously referring to subs 1000 watts and higher) are "ideal" for newbies? Newbies do not have, or know the value of, any electrical upgrades, and think that a 5 or 10 farad capacitor is all they need to run 2000+ watts. I can see it now, newbies flocking to the stores, dropping 3 grand on their first system.... Yeah right.... Sorry ASDF, you are quite wrong.

Also, running 2 subs instead of 1 is always louder for the money you will spend, and with the space that you have to work with. Someone would have to require more output than what two 13w7's can put out, before JL would need another subwoofer to top the w7. And like I said above, now that car audio is becoming more and more popular, and technology is coming along, there is now a market for a sub that can do beyond the 13w7. JL has probably realized this a couple years ago, and is probably already that far into the R+D of the new model.

"I doubt JL is doing much because what they have sells so well, they would be foolish to change anything." Like I said above, they totally dominate the market for everything 1000 watts and under, but nothing higher than that. Now would they be foolish to release a subwoofer for the only part of the market that they aren't currently dominating the market share? No. You would be foolish to think that they aren't working on it as we speak.

Username: Bobimpact

Post Number: 7
As far as the whole JL/Anti-JL arguement goes, let's be honest about two things: 1) JL subs sound good. 2) There are subs that sound better. I carry (Among others) the flagships for Alpine, JL, Focal, and JBL, and guess what? Each customer makes their own choice as far as what sub they like! True most go towards JL, but thats because the brand has a great reputation, they saw two 10W3s in their buddies car, or they heard about the W7. To say that JL does little R&D is faulty. Just look at the evolution of their line since the release of the W7, the W6V2, W3V3 and W1V2 all have some features of a W7 in them. Similarly, to say that power handling is not important to newbs is faulty as well, many customers of mine gravitate towards Alpine's Type X because of its 1,000 watt RMS rating.

To get back on track, JL Audio seems to be very focused on integration, home audio and their ECS for the short term. My guess is that the ZRs, W1 and W3V3 will be the last updates for at least the short term. And to answer somebody's question from way back, I am slated to get the A Series amps early to mid june. Saw one recently and it's defiently not all that different from the E series, lots more heatsink and much cleaner looking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us