Sealed or ported???

Bronze Member
Username: Dlenz4437

Post Number: 34
I have 2 12w3v2's and sound advice said they would make me a ported box for 150-200 or i could buy http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3519, which is the perfect specs for 2 sealed w3's. I really dont have alot of money to spend right now but i'd go with the ported box if its worth it, so tell me what you guys would do. Oh yeah, and what are the main differences in between a ported and a sealed box in sq and spl (cuz i never had and barely listened to systems with ported boxes). Thanx

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 541
i currently have the same subs in my car in a ported box tuned to 32 or 33, can't remember, and they sound great. first had them in sealed then ported, and you can def. tell the difference, go ported.

sealed box you have better sq and tighter bass, ported loses some sq but gain spl, i think about 2-4db. diff. from what i've been told/read.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3726
ok first, you need to determine what the speakers are made for.. not all drivers work in both box types.
you need the TS stats should come with the subs, or download the tech specs from their website)

Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP)
EBP = Fs / Qes
50 or less = best used in a sealed enclosure.
50 - 90 = flexible enclosure options.
90 or greater = best used in ported enclosure.
-OR-
Qts < 0.30 - ported
Qts = 0.30 - 0.50, use ported or sealed.
Qts > 0.50 sealed

Bronze Member
Username: Dlenz4437

Post Number: 35
damn i never knew that thanks, and thanks for the advice mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us