How does series relate to power?

Bronze Member
Username: Krnricebowl57

Post Number: 15
hi guys i know that if you wire in parallel you can bring down the resistance(ohms) to draw more power from the amp. but what does series have to do with anything? wiring in series raises the resistance correct? so why would you wire in series? any benefits?

can you wire both series and parallel (1/2 and 1/2 in the same circuit?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 894
"so why would you wire in series? any benefits?"

Benefit 1 - Series wiring will allow you to maintain a safe load that will not overload the amp. Some amps are not stable at low resistence loads. So if you have a DVC speaker or more pairs of speakers, series wiring will raise the load to a safer lever.

Benefit 2 - Series wiring will alow you to draw more power from the amp.

i.e.

Say you have a DVC 4 ohm speaker that handles 500 watts, and you have a mono amp that is capable of 1000 watts at 4 ohms. If you wired your DVC in series, you now have 8 ohms (which in many cases, amplifiers drop to half power as resistence doubles). Now you are able to use this "mono" amp. If you didnt have a DVC speaker or two 4 ohm speakers, you wouldnt be able to use this "mono" amp. I guess what I am trying to say is, it is just another option.

"can you wire both series and parallel (1/2 and 1/2 in the same circuit?"

Yes.

It is called "series/parallel". This type of wiring is used when wiring multiple drivers in sets of four, in multiples of four (4, 8, 16, 32, etc..) and/or at least two.

It is called series/parallel because you should "first wire the series, then the parallel. If you wire in parallel first, you "may" not be able to wire in series afterwards. You may run into complications.

Bronze Member
Username: Krnricebowl57

Post Number: 16
thanks alot.!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us