Running at 13.8 for the dd?

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1480
i got a converter for the power from AC power to DC power, and its going to run at 13.8 volts. would i be able to run an amplifier off this for long turm use and not fry the amp, and how would i hook the amp to it, it just has a + and a - part to hook into?

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 599
i can almost garauntee a coverter that isnt meant to power an amplifier wont put out near enough amps to power your amp enough to move your sub very much. and if you try to turn the volume up too high you will prolly be clipping terrible. it wont hurt your amp but i dont know about the converter or your sub.

i hope this makes sense to you because my brain is fried right now and it hard to write stuff that makes sense. lol

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 236
Are you trying to run a car stereo in your house? I've done this before in my room, worked fine for me.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1485
" http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103960&cp=&origkw=13.8VDC &kw= 13.8vdc&parentPage=search " that is the converter im using.... you have to copy and past the whole thing

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1486
yea Jordan, thats what im doing, they are hooked up right now but just WAY under powered

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 603
you could just run like 8 gauge from the + to the + on you amp and the same for the -. dont turn it up too loud or you will either be clipping or blow the fuses on the converter. what size amp are you planning on using?

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1487
just a small amp, i have no clue to be honest... i asked on here if anyone had a small one for sale but as usuall no one answered... do you think i could run like 200 watts out of it maybe 300?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 237
When i did it I just took a 12V battery and made a lil box to set that and a battery charger in, and when I would make sure the battery stayed fully charged, and then cut the charger off. Then when i wanted to listen to the music i would just turn the charger on. Worked fine for me, but if you listen for a while the battery will die out.
To hook it up run the
+ and - as you normally would and then run the remote from the + to the remote spot on the amp, you can put a toggle switch in the middle to turn the amp on and off, thats what i did.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1490
where would i get a 12V battery charger? did you use like a car battery?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 605
to give you an idea a 1500wrms amp at full volume draws 90amps continuously and can have spikes up to 150. so assuming the there is a linear relationship the converter could prolly power at the most about a 250w amp without blowing fuses or clipping. the charger wouldnt be any advantage over the converter becaue the charger wouldnt put out any more power than the converter because the wall sockest are fused at like 15-20 amps. it would just look more messy.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 606
with the battery and charger setup you could power a larger amp for a while but eventually anything over about 250w would run the battery dead. just like having a 15 amp alt in you car. unless you get a really big car battery charger, but that would be expensive.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 239
No. It was in the fall/winter, so i took the battery off our riding lawnmower. LoL. and then i just hooked a 15amp charger up to it. I ran a 400watt amp hooked up to 1 12 off of it for a while with no problem, then spring came around. Only problem was that if you played for about an hour straight at about 3/4 volume the battery would go out and the amp would cut on and off.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 240
Converters/chargers that put out high amps are expensive. Some of the pawn shops around here do that to test amps and stuff like that if you want to hear them in the store, that way they can show you it works and not have to have a warranty.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1491
damn this is WAY too much truble LOL... is there a house amplifyer that amplifys and converts to DC power along with pushing like 80 amps?? LOL

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 243
Yup. But its very expensive and prolly not worth it. Just take a cheap 12V battery and set it sumwhere and hooka charger up to it and then hook the amp up the way i told you to. It'll work for you, then you can save up and get a converter if you want.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1493
what is very espensive to you thought? because for some reason my preportions are WAY off ot other peoples LOL. where would i get a charger? if i get a car batery wrap it in plastic and get a charger could i do that?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 244
lol, yea. I just had an old speaker box for 2 10s that I sat the battery and charger in, and ran the wires out the 10 hole, and turned it facing the wall, then i screwed the amp down on top and the box just looked like a table against the wall. you could try that. And a descent sized converter would be a few hundred dollars.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1494
ok, where would i get a car battery charger?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 246
Wal-Mart, Autozone, pretty much anywhere that sells car batteries. A charger is about the same as a converter basically. Both have a + and - output. Get the one that puts out the most amps. Check Ebay for some converters tho, i didnt check there when i was looking for one, they may be some cheap on there. If you can find a descent one that puts out around 40 amps continuous then it should work, idk how big of an amp you were planning on running tho.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1495
a small one like 200-400 watts

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 248
Then that should work. But if you really want to, I just checked Ebay and there was a converter for about 170 shipped that put out a constant 55amp power. It would allow you to run that amp all day.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1496
alright so i figured out what im going to do, im going to just get a car batery and hook an amp to it that way. but what i can't figure out is how do i connect my sterio to my amp? can anyone figure this out?

Username: Biatch

USA

Post Number: 1
your fuking stupid

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 723
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/ps86.htm

80 amp constant power supply. enough to run around 800 watts.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 724
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/ps52.htm
40 amp constant

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 725
and you can adjust the voltage between 12 and 15 volts.

Post Number: 1
thank you, my account got hacked into and deleated... i'll get that 40amp one, thanks man, you did some real research... thank you. do you know how i would connect the amp to my sterio?

Post Number: 6
or would i just connect the converter strate to my subs, but then how would i hook the subs to the sterio? idk... this is very confusing:-( would it be bad to run it at like 14 volts for a daily use? i can't turn it up for long periods of time my parents get PISSED so that isn't a worry... but how would i go wiering this?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 252
Does your Stereo have RCA outputs? If it does just hook that to the amp, if not then get a cord that converts headphones to RCA.
As far as powering the amp, connect (+) to (+) and (-) to (-). Then run a wire from (+)on the power supply, to the remote spot of the amp, this will turn the amp on. If you want you can just get a toggle switch and put it in the mid. of the remote wire, and itll let you turn the amp on and off whenever you want, or you could just unplug the power supply when you want to turn it off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
no it doesn't have RCA outputs... but it has a place to hook woofers up to, like it has a place for mids then a place for subs... where would i connect the + and - to and on what?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 253
hold on I'll draw a pic.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 254
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
OH so have the power comming from the power.. i got ya.... now.. how would i get the subs to play from the sterio though....

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 256
Get an adapter, itll change the headphone output on your stereo into RCA outputs. WalMart and some other stores like that will have it. Plug the headphone end into your stereo and the RCAs into your amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
and the - on the pwr will be the ground? for a few minuts there i was thinking that the REM cable was the one that gave the subs the channles LOL

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 257
lol. Yeah, the - on the power supply is the same as a ground in a car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
ok, thanks man, seriouesly you saved my a$s kuz i had no clue what the heII i was doing LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us