AMP Overheat Problem

Username: Ajisup

Post Number: 8
Ok, i got a problem here where my amp overheats everytime im bumping and it gets so hot that it actually shuts off and i have to wait about 2 minutes for it to cool off and turn back on. I asked some guy at an audio shop by me and he said its because my ohms arent matching or something. I am running 3 phoenix gold subs at 4 ohms each and rated 600 watts peak power each. I am using a Performance Teknique Amp to power my subs wired up in parallel to the Amp. My Amp is also bridgeable so I bridged both channels. Here are all the specs to my amp:
Amplifier Type: Dual Channel
Bridgable: Bridgable
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 170 W x 2
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 240 W x 2

If anyone can figure out what is causing my amp to overheat or what I can do to fix this problem please let me know...thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6866
r they dvc or svc, also peak watts are pointless, what is the rms of the subs

Post Number: 9
The RMS is 300 watts each. Can u explain what DVC and SVC are??

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6868
dual voice coil (2), single voice coil (1),

How many spots on each sub, can u run speaker wire

Post Number: 10
The subs say dual voice coil on them but theres only one positive and one negative terminal on each sub

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3920
where and how did you mount the amp. maybe the amp isn't getting any air circulation at all.

Silver Member
Username: Extremesound1

Coventry, RI United states

Post Number: 172
make sure the ohms are matched, if not they more likely to heat up,,,and make sure ur amp has air to breath,,,,my reciever blew in my house just got it fixed the whole circuit too.

Silver Member
Username: Extremesound1

Coventry, RI United states

Post Number: 173
and dont keep using it if it keeps shuting off or youll just blow it,,,then you blew money

it is shutting off because its trying to save ur amp,,,,u keep on doing it the amp protecton circuitery will be activated and it will shut down everytime ur turn it on immediatly.

so be carefull

sorry about the other post i just said what u and the rest said,,,i dint read the hole thread

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1772
also maybe someone didnt mention it how high do you have your gain set or bassboost and what size wire are you using

Bronze Member
Username: Emdawg12345

Post Number: 33
jjust read this and itle solve ur problemhttp://www.rotteneggs.com/?refid=182315

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
My wires are all good. I dont know what gauge they are but they are about half an inch in thickness. I dont really know what all my settings are on cause i just played with them until i had it sounding good. My amp is mounted on top of my box in the trunk and theres is no air circulation at all in there. Im now thinking about putting a fan on my amp or just getting a new amp with a built-in fan. And if you know what Amp I could get that will help match my ohms please let me know!! I am runnin 3 subs with 4 ohms each and here are the specs for my Amp:
Amplifier Type: Dual Channel
Bridgable: Bridgable
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 170 W x 2
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 240 W x 2

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1774
um first check to see if you have those maxed out cause those will cause you to overheat very quickly

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yeah, all my settings are pretty high. I just need to know what amp i can get to match the ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us