Remoe Wire Question

Silver Member
Username: Pikesh

Toronto, ONtario Canada

Post Number: 264
Hi guys,
I am going to installing my subs and amp on my stock deck, my amp has speaker level inputs so i am using the lil adapter i found...My question is that
-Since i wont be removing my Hu, i need a connection for Remote wire without removing my HU. Where can i get a connection to turn on amp for remote wire?
-Second question is that the adapter is actually from this computer part(SMPS POwer Supply) the adapter fits the amp PERFECTLY!!!! as if it was made for that only question is that i am guessing it was used to pass current into pc like for pc stuff... is it ok to use that on speakers as for that purpose...

Thank you

Username: Budling

Cali USofA

Post Number: 2
Well you could wire to the battery with a switch in between, or you could use the cigarette lighters power. But only if the ignition key shuts of power to the cigarette lighter when in the off position. Some autos the cigarette lighter always has power.
Or use the stock HU's remote power.
I dont see a problem with using that adapter.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1386
or you could run it off your 12v input on your amp. Just run a wire from it and put a toggle switch on it so the amp won't always be on. Then just run it back into the amp. I'll draw a diagram and show you what I mean

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2948

quote:

Since i wont be removing my Hu, i need a connection for Remote wire without removing my HU. Where can i get a connection to turn on amp for remote wire?

It won't take more than ten minutes to remove the head unit...why not do it?

Cali USofA

Post Number: 3
Do ya understand what im sayin pietro?
Thats what I meant when I said hook it up to the battery with a switch, at the amp at the battery doesnt matter as long u connect a switch if its constant power. Usually cigarette lighters shut off when the car is turned off making it a remote wire.

The best way would be to splice into the HU's remote wire.

Silver Member

Toronto, ONtario Canada

Post Number: 265
"It won't take more than ten minutes to remove the head unit...why not do it? "

- I dont know how to remove the Hu, i tried it once and broke something... lol

I also do have remote starter? security installed... The black speaker thing from which the alarm sounds has a red wire going inside my car... Can i use that as a remote wire? or may be another wire from there or something....
- hooking up straight from battery, so u mean (+) is power cable(-) would be from battery to amp? i am not shure how that works... Thanks a lot for your help guys.. i was thinking something with my starter may be if u want i can take picture of wires and may be you can tell me which one can be used as remote wire.. Thank you

Cali USofA

Post Number: 4
Bro, if u take a wire and connect it to any thing that has a 12v pos+ power terminal and connect it to the remote terminal on your amp it will work, but u want to be able to trun your amp off, so u put a toggle switch in between the pos+ terminal and the remote terminal on the amp. All the remote terminal is for is turning the amp on and off, it doesnt actually power the amp the 12v pos+ input does. So like Young James was sayin, u can connect a wire from the 12v pos+ on the amp to the remote terminal on the amp. But u need a switch. Again the cigarette lighter on some auto's turn off when the car is off making it a remote wire.

We cant give u any advise about black speaker things and red wires going inside your car. I wouldnt mess with your remote starter imo you would only make things worse.

Silver Member

Toronto, ONtario Canada

Post Number: 267
I think a diagram by young james would be helpful a lot...

I kinda know what ur saying but just to be sure... Thanks

Cali USofA

Post Number: 5
wow

Silver Member

Toronto, ONtario Canada

Post Number: 269
wuts the wow about?

Cali USofA

Post Number: 6
Upload

Cali USofA

Post Number: 7
but that way your gonna have to remember ever time u get out of the car to turn your amp off.

Cali USofA

Post Number: 8
Upload

Cali USofA

Post Number: 10
if your gonna go with the cig lighter just turn your car off and see if the cig lighter works. If it doesnt then this would be the best spot other than the HU's remote wire.

Bronze Member

Cali USofA

Post Number: 11
your welcome

Bronze Member
Username: Inafia

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 26
dude just take the end of the remote wire, wrap it around the RADIO fuse in ur fuse box. then run the other end to the amp...no need for all that complex stuff that these ecoustics tools like to suggest to sound cool. any audio shop would do it like i just suggested

Silver Member

Toronto, ONtario Canada

Post Number: 270
Thanks A-Hype... I will pick the switch today or try to get cig lighter out!!! =)

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1395
That's he diagram that I was talking about, but it wouldn't let me upload it

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 906
I'm not sure i want a little wire possibly carrying 100A of power across it, personally. I don't know if the remote wire section of the amp would like it either.

Bronze Member

Cali USofA

Post Number: 13
Inafia, Wrap it around the radio fuse? Thats what a professional shop would do? What a stroke.
And complex? This is basic shyt.

Young James, I modify my files with IrfranView to get them to post on ecoustics. In this case I had to change the paint BMP file to a JPG.

Bronze Member

Cali USofA

Post Number: 14
Jake what?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 911
Sorry, never mind that. I was confused when I wrote that. lol

Username: Silverado_94

Hudson bay, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 9
inafia made a good point there. why dont you just take power from your fuse block. find a spot with power with the key on only then crimp a flat end on the remote wire and plug it in same as wrapping the wire around the fuse.

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 217
pu it in the raidio fuse, wrap it around the peg thing and but it in, ive never done it anyother way.... plus that way its some what protected if it hit a ground

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

Sask Canada

Post Number: 230
^^yes, thats how the lights under my seat and pedal cover lights are hooked up. They are wired to an ignition supply in the fuse block. It will work just fine going to the amp. No need for a toggle switch unless you have no idea about your fuse block. The toggle switch is definately an easier way to do it, but maybe get a toggle switch that has a light in it so you notice it better and remember to turn it off. If you can get to a power supply w/ ignition turn on.. do it that way instead.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 135
Dont get the lighted toggle swith, It will rob power meant for the remote signal.

Bronze Member
Username: Silverado_94

Hudson bay, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 15
just hook it to the fuse box man way easier than any swithces and sh!t!

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

Sask Canada

Post Number: 234
yeah.. go with the fuse box. and a lighted toggle switch would be fine, wouldnt it? its just a remote turn on, nothing like the actual power going to the amp just remote turn on, i dont think it needs a definite power supply that has to be strong.. im not sure though.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 914
Doesn't matter if it's lighted or not. It's going to pull as much power from the alternator as it needs.
I think it's easiest to just run another wire off your HU's remote, it's all there and ready for you to pull from. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us