12" type-r setup help

Username: Chaseacej

Post Number: 1
Im having very mixed feelings about my 12" type-r dvc right now. I just put in my brothers 12" sony xplod which wasnt an expensive sub at all. It is in a small truck box barely bigger than the sub itself and it hits harder than the type-r. The type-r is in a ported box not sure on the size or anything like that havent checked it. Im running a kenwood kac-7201 amp. It just seems like the type-r wont get as loud as the xplod or hit as hard.

Silver Member
Username: Nypdlapd

Post Number: 316
lol wat box is the xplod in??

Post Number: 2
A custom built sealed box with one corner notched in so it would fit under the seat. The type-r is in a q-logic box from best buy i believe.

Silver Member
Username: Nypdlapd

Post Number: 317
To me Xplods are a good sub but they die FAST!! and the type r's are a "better" sub!!

Change the type r to the xplod box!!

Tell me if it louder???

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 829
Just for the record I am Pro Alpine R but for some reason it seams that if I only run 1 it baisicly just enhances my bass but if both are pluged in it tripples or more it seams in loudness.

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1106
i cannot see the explode being louder than the r" especially if its in a ported box.. what are the coil configs on the xplode/type r and how did you wire them

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 832
I bet that R is a 4Ohm sub hu?

If it is then Chase you are depriveing that poor sub of power...
So in that case yes a expold would preform better because of it needs fewer watts than the R.
Get a better Amp you would be suprised.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 167
xplod subs suck i know this kid whos got 2 12s iv got one AA assassin and killed this kids subs...it was funny everyone used to think his were so bad a$s too

Bronze Member
Username: 20la20

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 33
xplods do suck...a kid at my school has 3 12" Xplods...my 3 10" Kicker CompVRs blow them out of the water! just an all around terrible sub i think

Post Number: 3
I cant fit the type-r in the xplod box the box fits that tight with the sony. I have the type-r wired with the two inner + - connected and the outers to the + - on the amps left or right side i cant remember which right now. could it be the box is not the right size? Im planning on measuring the size tonite its just a simple LxWxH volume calculation right?

Post Number: 4
And yes its the 4ohm sub.

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1108
so you have it wired like the top option?

Post Number: 5
box is 1.25cu in.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 835
Chase bridge your amp an wire it like this

Upload

Post Number: 6
I dont know where the manual is right now. Off the crutchfield site I have it wired now with the two inner connected and the outers running to the amp.

Post Number: 7
Im planning to run both subs should i just run the xplod since its not dvc like normal + to + and - to - then and the type-r like shown above?

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 836
then you are running in 8 ohm!!

Wire it like above ^^ and try it out then let us know.

Bronze Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 46
sounds like its svc 4ohm...
get another sub ! :P

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1112
he cant bridge his amp to a 2 ohm load.. he can only wire the sub up to recieve 230 watts from 1 channel..
if the explode is 2 ohm u could do that .. it would be kinda dumb though

Post Number: 8
i can only go 4ohm stable in bridged. Im not sure on the ohm for the xplod ill have to check it out. I can go 230W x2 at 2ohm for my amp.

Post Number: 9
The xplod is a 4ohm, peak 1100W and rated 300W.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I wired it like above on teh 2ohm setting without bridging my amp and it increased slightly it seems like the sub is moving/bouncing more than it did before. would be box be too big i think they recommend a .5-1cu in box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ive never pushed the sub to the point of blowing it so i think thats out of the question unless running it at 8ohm could have hurt it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us