Clipping??

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1330
what is the noise that is made when you clip the amp? and is it made from the sub or the amp? when i turn it up i hear like a rubbing click or something like that from my left sub and idk if its clipping or if its the sub

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 413
clipping is when you are overdriving the amp and the sine wave signal gets the top "clipped" off. niether the sub or amp would make noises from clipping unless it is terribly bad and your vc starts burnig and sorts of badness happens. the noise from you subs is prolly from giving them too many watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1331
the are rated at 1100 RMS and im giving them 800RMS each about. i've taken the subs out and there is no burning of the VC... so what could it be?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 416
do you have a ho alt and 0 gauge wire? after playing your subs at high volume for a couple minutes does the cone feel hot?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1335
no, i have stock alt and im running 4 gauge wire, i have a 120 amp fuse on the power wire, and the cone gets hot after about a half hour of playin on about 22 with gain on full and bass on 7 out of 15

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 418
22 out of how many? 1600wrms off a stock alt and 4 gauge you can expect quite a bit of clipping.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1338
22 out of 35. everything sounds good, but idk what clipping is saposed to sound like or anything, its a lexus so i think the parts a pretty good but i know the stock mids and tweeders suck as for the stock sub, that was taken out becore i got the car lol

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Slowcala, FL The one that...

Post Number: 2922
clipping should sound like this on your sub - r5gnh48ytu983ty30thn5gb58096!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 876
I agree, I can notice clipping pretty quick. I have also noticed when adding bass boost, you know it's clipping when you add more and it makes no difference in sound, lol ... Polo.. :-O

Gold Member

Post Number: 2926
"half hour of playin on about 22 with gain on full and bass on 7 out of 15"

--------------------------------------------------

do you understand the purpose of the gain knob??

Username: Flakko

Post Number: 2
^^^ word....im suprised the magic smoke hasnt come out of your subs or your amp yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1342
whats so bad about having the gain on full? it sounds the best? it has melted some of the vinal on the roof of my trunk because the amp got so hot...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1343
so basically no, i do not know what the purpose of the gain knob is, all i know, is the more gain you have the better it sounds

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 912
so basically no, i do not know what the purpose of the gain knob is, all i know, is the more gain you have the better it sounds

Are you for real? You have 1343 posts and been a member since Dec 05 and you haven't even learned the basics? Polo..

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1345
DUDE, I JUST GO BY WHY SOUNDS BEST!!!!! I KNOW IM GOING TO GET ALOT OF SH!T FOR THIS so bring it on guys im ready LOL... doesn't it just controle the amount of power that is either taken or given by the amp?

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 914
No knuckle head, it matches the output of the HU pre-outs to the input stage of a particular amplifier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1346
ok.. so its bad to have it on .8? i think thats whats on the amp. what should i set it on? 6 because i think thats the preamp on my HU

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1359
bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 2928
if your HU has 4 volt pre-outs.......then you want the gain a.k.a. the "input sensitvity knob" to be set around or a little below 4v.....the reason being is b/c your HU will put out these 4v near full volume.....and the tiny MOSFETS inside most aftermarket HU's will begin to clip at full power......sooooo they say it is wise to tune your gain with your HU at 3/4 volume.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us