HELP!!! Too much power??

Username: Riniflex01

Post Number: 1
Hi i have a problem, well i guess its two problems. I have 2 JL Audio W6 V2's with a 1000/1 amp in a sealed box. Wired in parrallel so im guessing both speakers are gettin 1000 watts?? I not very clear on this. But anyways once in a while at high volumes the speakers cut out, then come back on a few seconds later. I fixed some grounding problems and wire connections and that seemed to fix that problem. (Low voltage cause of bad grounding im guessing). Do u guys think that the problem is low voltage for this one???

Also second problem, this happend yesterday, while palying a song the speakers started makin a strange sound, like a hollow sound almost kinda like they were blown but not really, and it was only for a few seconds and it went away. Could this be damgage to the speakers?? Too much power??

The things is i was playing and mp3 cd, could that be part of it?

Post Number: 3
could it be a seal isnt sealed properly??

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 657
If it cut out that means you were driving something too far, either the HU, or the amp.

People mess with the EQ settings on mp3 files, and they are usually bad quality compared to a cd, so playing an MP3 can often times reveal a problem that has always been there, that you just hadn't realized until now.

But your problem isn't too much power, it is not enough power.

You have the volume too loud for your charging system to keep up. You really ought to get a high output alternator with a really nice amp and subs like those. It will not only allow you to be louder, but it will also protect your investment.

For a temporary fix, turn down the gain if it is not set properly, otherwise, watch your bass boost levels on your HU and amp, and be careful with the volume control.

Those subs should sound like pure gold, if you are noticing any distortion whatsoever, you need to back down your bass levels until you can get a HO alt.

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 410
your subs are not getting 1000wrms each the amp is capable of 1000wrms and you are splitting it between 2 subs so each sub is getting 500wrms.

Post Number: 4
thanx for the help i think they might be ok, 500 watts is well within the powerhandling range for these subs, they say that its 400 wrms so 500 is still in a decent range

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 662
They should be better than OK, they should be the best sounding subs you have ever heard. Get that HO alt.

www.excessiveamperage.com

I'll say it one more time for added importance. Get a high output alternator or you will clip your subs to death, and never hear their full potential.

Post Number: 5
haha no they are pretty much the best sounding subs ive heard, except for my boy has two solo-baric 15" L-7 squares, with a 3400 watt ESX amp, that system is crazy but mine run a distant second. I am just worried about that weird sound i described b4. That hollow sound with barley any bass. If its a problem with the alternator im greatful cause i rather have my truck blow up then my subs to be honest.....lol

thanx for the info ima check that site out

ps what did u mean about "clip ur subs to death"

Post Number: 6
what i meant by ok was that i think there isnt really a prob with the subs (i hope)

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1324
if you don't want to trust them with that much power, turn the gain down on the amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us