Renforcement help.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 625
I have a 98 malibu with about 9.5 feet of space in my trunk when it is closed.
I have 2 12" Alpine R's and they sound friggin great I think. But my trunk lid is flexing soo bad I want to renforce and dynamat my trunk lid.

And I want to build a couple boxs for my 6X9's because as soon as my bass hits my 6X9's distort.

How would I renforce my trunk lid before I dynamat it? Because I dont want any rattle.

Would all of this be sufficent or do I need to dynamat my entire trunk?

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 176
I think u should Dynamat the whole trunk first and see how it sounds and as far as the 6x9s u probably need to get aftermarket ones and put a amp on them

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 626
Also I am going to port my trunk near my 6X9's because my rear deck bounces with the bass.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 627
do you have to remove the carpet to install dynamat the whole trunk?

What exactly does dynamat do besides reduce rattle?

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 628
I dont think my stock ALT could handle another amp and my 6X9's are kenwood for now, unamped though.

Username: Alex_carlson

Post Number: 9
Yes you definetly need to remove the carpet, Dynamat is a tar and aluminum substance that you stick to the inside of your body panels. It goes underneath the carpet (its permemenant if you put it on top of your carpet you'll be SOL).

Besides reducing rattle outside the car, it will reduce road noise inside the car, and keep the sound in from your speakers/subs. I dynamatted almost the entire interior of my car, and i noticed a HUGE improvement in sound quality, whether that was because of the reduced road noise or if it really kept the sound in.... not sure, but either way it helped;)

Anyways, thats what I know about dynamat!

Alex

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 631
Is this the kind I would need or is there a difference?

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3790

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 179
THAT'LL WORK RAVE'N BUT IF YOUR WILLING TO BUY ON EBAY IT MIGHT BE CHEAPER.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 633
Is there anything better?

Or are they all about the same?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 617
I Dynamatted almost my whole vehicle and my trunk still pulls away from its seat! My trunk flexes sooo much that if it rains, it will suck water through the seal and NO my seal is not bad, the car only has 50K miles on it. The only solution I have found it to close off the trunk and make sure the sub is aimed into the cabin instead of the trunk. This will take some time but I will be starting on it soon. As for the 6x9's you will need either buy a baffle or make one to keep the moving air from hitting the back of the cones, they will need to be as air tight as possible, maybe use some polyfill behind them also. I had a set that I actually blew the cones out of, yet to replace them...Polo. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us