Focus ZX3 system questions!

Username: Alex_carlson

Post Number: 4
this will be a long-winded introduction to my questions to follow over the next few weeks:-)

I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3, and last August I rolled it, totalling it out. I have been repairing it slowly, and am back to the audio system. I don't have the car with me here (i'm up at school, its back home i work on it on the weekends) and heres what i've got.

I have in it 2 10" American pro subs (the ones with the cool light up stars on them) and a rockford amp (I think its the 900 watt model but I can't remember... silver covers w/ a red lightup RF symbol). I have a kenwood deck, fairly basic one, the one that changes a million diff colors, silver scroll wheel. also there's 4 aftermarket speakers can't remember the brand but not a big deal. my main question revolves around subs. I plan on putting 4 subs in the back, the 2 I already have as well as 2 others.

Now for questions!!

If I make the setup uniform, can i put in 2 different types of subs in? can i put the 2 10's next to each other, and put the 2 12's outside of them, or something like that? I realize it would be a dumb idea to put 2 10's on one side and 2 12's on the other, but if i lay them out "equilaterally" would it work ok? also, I had a capacitIor that I had put in, but it got damaged in the rollover, but i didn't notice any improvement in the dimming when i installed it so is it worth buying another one? I plan on fiberglassing the box(es) more than likely, MDF box for 4 subs would be a tricky bit of work in the back of a car like that...

My biggest problem is the power I plan on pulling will play horribly with my alternator even more than the one amp did (I want to power the 2 i had with the amp i have, and the 2 others with another amp) is there any way i can solve that?

I've got a bunch of other questions i was gonna ask...but right now i can't remember them.... heh

Thanks much for all your help!!!

Alex Carlson

Post Number: 6
just thought of something else, If i were to use a distributor block would i still need my fuse near the battery? or would the 2 fuses in the distribution block replace those (obviously the block would be in the back nearer to the amps than the fuse is currently, that make a difference?)

Alex

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1111
1. You should never mis-match subs. This will cause cancelletion problems and it won't sound any good at all. If you want 4 subs, then either get 4 10's, 4 12's, etc. Never mix sizes

2. Cap won't do anything. They are a waste of money. If you want to solve your electrical problems, I suggest you look into an HO (high-output) alternator. This will provide the proper amps you need to run your gear.

3. You should always have a fuse near the battery to protect your gear. It don't hurt to have more near the distribution block either. IMO, the more the better.

Hope this helps, sorry to hear about your car bro

Post Number: 8
Thanks, helps alot:-) if i don't mix sizes is it ok to mix brands? 2 american pro and to rockfords maybe? all 10's of course... kinda thought so about the cap/alternator situation the more i'm reading up... and fuses ftw i like my amps and subs working..

Also, the car isn't technically mine anymore, my bro and sis just turned 16 and got their licences, and i got a BMW Z3 for graduation (my summer car now). but yeah, they loved the system i had in figured i'd pump it up a little:-)

Oh, and a side note, I repossess vehicles for a living, and anything aftermarket has to come off before they go to auction. If the people don't come and pick their stuff up in 60 days, its becomes my property. Needless to say, i have a plethora of supplies to build up systems with;) currently sitting on a dozen odd subs and about the same for amps...

Good stuff

Alex Carlson

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1112
wow, now that's a cool way of getting new gear!

btw, I also wouldn't recommend you mixing different brands either. Every sub reacts differently. This can be the way they play, to the proper size/breathing room they need. Again, I would strongly suggest that you get all 4 subs with the same name for best results. It will sound much better, and be in proper phase. Nice car too.......Love them BMW's :-)

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 433
dont want to jack the thread but I wanted to put some 8" subs or Midbass speakers in the front of my car(looks really and i want to bring bass up front)

So whut ur saying is dont do it 8's front (Cabin)15's back (trunk)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us