What do you think of fiberglassing?

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 463
i visited this website that someone posted earlyer (i think it was lilrob) and it gives great info.. also it doesnt look to hard. is it hard?? i think i might try it someday and make an enclosure in my spare tire well.. would be pretty cool if it turned out nice.

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 464
forgot the link...

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 271
yeah it was me and its really i mean really helpfull just try to do that u dont loose nothing only 50 buck and u can learn how to customize

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 272
it can be better than mdf cuz is stroger and cant flex so easily

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 467
what about painting it after?? what can you use that would be really smooth finish after you sand it all down??

the only thing is, it would be hard to determine its volume..

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 275
to calculate the volume i put water and then go to google and i type liters to cubics ft and u find the cubic ft u will need pvc pipes to make the ports somentimes is better with fiberglass than wood couse fiberglass has no curves and the air move better painting dude its better yes it will be really smoth check the internet and look at some photos with fiberglass enclousures to get an ideo just try it if u dont like it sell

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 471
no, i mean what kind of paint do people use to make it that smooth?? i dont think spray paint would work to get it that smooth

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 807
Sand it then bondo it and sand it again then paint. I'm building a couple big boxes now and it is very time consuming and expensive. If your going to do alot then I would suggest buying bulk online. One gallon of fiberglass resin at Home Depot is $30. I saw a 5 gal online for $90. Same with mat. Home Depot is $6 for 9 sq ft. Online is way cheaper and they sell it by the square yard instead of foot. I made the mistake of buying one gallon of resin at a time and buying the Home Depot mat. It has gotten really expensive, but its gonna be awesome.

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 472
thanks for the info man sounds good. the mat stuff is the fiber glass right?? what kind of bondo do you use?? and no one still answered what kind of paint are you/will you be using lucas??

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 27
to calculate the volume, use traveling peanuts(foam) it's easier than water.

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 28
and use this program it will help you a lot, it's free. http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 808
Yeah the mat is the actual fiberglass. Bondo body filler. I bought mine at O'rieleys. One gallon for $15. It's Bondo brand and its called body filler. You can use a plastic scraper to apply it and its easiest if you shape it with a rasp while its still setting. Then sand it and paint it. I'm not to the painting stage yet, but I'm getting close. I'm having mine painted by a body shop. The guy will be painting my vehicle so he said that he would paint the boxes for free. So I guess the answer to your question is automotive paint. There maybe other solutions, but its the only one that I know of that will give you a piano like finish.

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 479
^^BUMP^^ any other imput from people out there?? any tips/pointers i should look out for??

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 827
sponge roller instead of paint brush makes smoother surfaces, conserves resin, and is much faster. imo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us