Off Topic Circular saw spins backwards, any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 577
I know this sounds stupid but I was at an estate sale and found a very nice all metal skill circular saw but when I plugged it in the rotation was reversed. It had me baffled because it uses alt current which really doesn't have a direction which made me believe there has to be diode(s) in there somewheres to set that? If so where and how can I reverse the direction, switch the wires at the motor or....? I am lazy I don't want to disasemble the whole thing if someone has a quick fix for this, Polo.. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 246
i think you plug it in the wrong direction or maybe the wires are mixed ex 1+ 2- maybe they are
1- 2+

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 798
^lol

Username: Kungpow

Post Number: 4
put the blade on backwards.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6891
dude - rotating backwards is super deadly & u can get fucked up BAD ........

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2564
just wondering, but what do you mean "backward"?

cause circular saws normally spin counter-clockwise.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/DW62.JPG

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 584
Ummmmmm, I might feel a WEEEE bit stupid right now Marshall but at least you look it more than I do, LOL. THANKS FVKKER, the damn blade was on backwards, lOl... Polo.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1148
"i think you plug it in the wrong direction "

i'm not gonna lie that might have been one of the dumbest things ive ever heard lol thatnks for the laugh

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 803
If it is three phase then he could have plugged it in backward. To reverse the direction on three phase swap two phases. So it was the dumbest thing you've heard because you were ignorant. I don't mean ignorant in a derogatory way. Just that you didn't know.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11413
wire three-phase backward? I'd love to see someone pull that off.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2565
your welcome Polo

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 806
I do it every day almost. Three phase motors will turn either diection. Alls you have to do is swap any two phases and it will reverse direction.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1149
okay so heres a question for you how manmy table saws int he world are 3 phase in the first place im pretty sure that they are mostly single phase not saying all cause im not sure but the most commonly used ones are single so how would that help him it wouldnt and i know alot about electrical circuits for you rinfo i took in in high school at a technical school for 4 years then i am now taking ee classes as well so dont tell me i dont know any better

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11421
three-phase is AC. it switches directions 60 times per second, at least in North America.
I think what you're doing is connecting to a rectified output of a 3-phase feed.
this is 3-phase:
http://www.windpower.org/en/stat/unitsac3.htm
this is probably what you're doing:
http://www.windpower.org/en/stat/unitac3c.htm

see also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current

Silver Member

Post Number: 799
in simpler words AC does not have a polarity it changes 60x a second,50 in some countries..so pluggin it in backward is impossible since there is no correct way...lol

and where in hell u gonna find a 3 phase circular saw .....lol

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 809
each phase is 120 electrical degrees apart from each other so which ever phase is hooked to the leading armature will determine the direction. and no its not rectified. they are 3 phase motors. pretty common in intusrial sized equipment,including table saws.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 810
^industrial sized equipment not intusrial

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 811
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/AC/AC_10.html#xtocid269102

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1150
ya common in industrial sized equipment why in the hell would he be buying that for his house lol

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11424
He's talking about a circular saw (a skil-saw) at a yard sale. it's 120VAC. The only way it's going to "run backward" is if the blade was put on the saw backwards. Now please stop trying to show off. You can't wire residential AC hand held power tools backwards and make them run in reverse by doing so.

Every other electrical engineer I passed this thread along to though had a good laugh at some of these replies posts. :-)

Unless you're an EE, or similarly qualified please stop trying to convince people that 3-phase AC can be "wired out of phase." If you do happen to be an EE, return to your alumnus college admissions office, and kindly ask for a refund. :-)
:P

By the way, how is the weather in OK? I heard that area was getting hammered recently with some pretty harsh weather.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 599
Well I was right, there are diode(S) in there somewhere to change it to DC in order to run the motor? With that done, it now has polarity which can be reversed but I still don't seen no damn 3 phases, lol. Just kidding... He GW, thanks for the tip on the Speaker design CB, shed A LOT of light on why that box of mine has four huge ports instead of two and why people go with 6" instead of 4 in with high power, higher excursion subs, great book but gives me a headache, lol. Oh thanks Marshall, for some reason I always thought the blade points came down on the material instead of cutting under it, go figure, lol...Polo :-O

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 816
Your an electrical engineer and you dont know how to reverse the direction of a three phase motor? Thats like day two. And I'm not trying to show off someone said that maybe he plugged it in backwards and another guy said that you cant plug ac in backwards. Do you homework instead before you try to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 817
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_10/4.html

Maybe this all about circuits web page will help complete your degree Mr. EE.

Upload

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 818
Weather is nice we just had a cold front or storm pass through, but I was in Miami. Designing a PLC controlled topper in a bakery. And some time in South Beach too. Ohh yeah..

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 603
I love South beach and I am well known to chase some of the iguana's when drunk, lol. Ever go to a local fish house like the Rusty Pelican, get a Dolphin fish sandwich, sh!t is awesome. I will be going down in May for the sea turtle egg laying. Hopefully this year will be better, not too good last year. I actually have a condo in Pompano Beach here is a couple of pic's from the 18th fL... Polo..

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

California

Post Number: 1087
haha polo?

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1152
lucas can you attempt to shut up for once its a tablw saw which is not 3 phase so there for you would not be able to do that and you can not plug it in backwards so my comment was completely correct so stfu

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 825
ur funny charlie. nub.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 826
hey Polo we have dolphin here in oklahoma 2. lol.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1154
lol sorry if i came across as a a%%hole lucas im really not i think the way we talk over the internet kinda makes us sound bad anyways

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 828
yeah me2. sorry.

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

California

Post Number: 1088
^^^^puss1es

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1161
lol nice pelon good touch cant have enemies on this site

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 627
Upload.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11429
it's NOT A 3-PHASE MOTOR. I've been doing this longer than you've been in school, kiddo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 809
yup^

i think its call an a syncronous motor or somtn so...my buddy is an EE and he talks about this stuff all the time...i could never understand wtf hes sayin

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11435
I'm just going to drop this. It's not really worth arguing over, and I'd rather just leave the thread alone than start some big fight about something. Better things to do, and nothing to be gained. I'm going to politely back out of this discussion at this point to prevent any hard feelings, as usually come about from ebates on these forums.

peace.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 833
I never said it was a three phase motor I only said that you can reverse the direction of an AC motor if it is 3 phase. And if you've been "doing this longer" than I've been in school then you would know.

My 1st post on this forum:
"If it is three phase then he could have plugged it in backward. To reverse the direction on three phase swap two phases. So it was the dumbest thing you've heard because you were ignorant. I don't mean ignorant in a derogatory way. Just that you didn't know."

Now chill out grandpa.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 986
lol electrical fight

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 615
Upload

Username: Van_man

Post Number: 10
My two cents.... Putting the blade in a circular saw backwards is commonly used to cut vinly siding cleanly...It wont shatter or splinter the siding as easily..Usualy a plywood type blade is used...fine teeth type. By the way which side of the saw were you standing on? This can make a difference in the way the blade spins. Try moving to the other side of the saw....

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 616
I was a course tooth blade on backwards causing the back of the teeth, smooth part to hit the work piece. It wouldn't cut and I always thought that the blade point came down on the material instead of coming from under to help keep bounce back to a minimum. I am not a builder so I had no idea, but I reversed the blade and it cuts like a charm! I paid a few bucks for this saw at an estate sale, came with its own red metal box (skill on it) with the guides, blase wrench and and manual. I guess they too thought it was broken because you can tell they tried to cut with it do to the heat discoloration on the back of the teeth, front still sharp like new. Polo. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us