Building materials for built-in trunk enclosure (ideas).

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 576
I am getting ready to build my built-in trunk enclosure but still haven't decided on materials yet. Should I go with a traditional mdf or can I use a plywood of some sort? I will be internally bracing it and using a good amount od adhesives with aluminum angle drilled and screws done from the inside. Once done I i will resin/glass over any forseen weak spots or edges. This is going to house a SINGLE new XXX. Thanks in advance for any and all help given! Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 244
dude u got the new xxx man if you do wow

for ur question mdf is better than plywood plywood can flex more easily and mdf is porouse so its better.
if i was you i made an enclousure of fiberglass
with the xxx upside down to show the magnets check this out
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 268
i would go mdf for sure.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 580
I heard that plywood is stronger, less dense and the reason most use it is because it is cheaper than plywood/Birch. If able to I would prefer a lighter material because the sub itself is gonna be 76lbs byt itself, lol. Polo.. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 250
man use mdf and finish it with fiberglass did u saw the link that gave you the dude jump on the fiberglass

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1228
like rob said use 3/4" mdf and fiberglass. If you have a spare tire well jsut fiber glass the inside of that with about 7 layers. You will want to lay down some sound deadening material over the walls of it before you fiberglass though or you'll get rattles. Then jsut lay a piece of mdf over it and seal it.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 581
You guys cannot be serious! This is a sub that is approx 13.5" DEEP, that means it will not fit in a spare tire well, not even close. Also this is going to be 5cf and ported through the back deck. I will be using a small amount of glass/resin on the inside but a custom FG enclosure is out of the question. What I am trying to do is to close off the trunk area te get rid of extra space to boost spl a little and to cut down on trunk lid flex. I have it all planned out but have mixed reviews on materials. I know MDF is always used becasue it is cheap, but there isn't a preset budget here. Here is a picture similar to what I am trying to accomplish. Polo. :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2562
I would use 3/4" MDF and double up everything...prolly need 2 full sheets. Lots of wood glue and some threaded rod for sure. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6894
i would def use 1 INCH MDF & some internal box bracing.......

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 583
Ya, threaded rod to hold it all in, now would the rods resonate(audibly), that is the only thing I worry about using any type of metal in cabinets. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2563
i have never noticed the rod resonating in mine or anyother installs. (use 1/2" threaded rod)

make sure you put on nut and washer on both the inside and outside of the box. (4 nuts and 4 washers per rod)

Lock-nut > washer > MDF > washer > Lock-nut

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 25
dude, do what the other guys said. go with mdf, it's better than plywood.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1230
didn't see that you were using a xxx lol my bad. make sure you use mdf

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 384
on those pictures, what is the thing under the box, it looks connected, is it for the amps?

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 438
People don't use MDF because it's cheap. It's actually not that cheap.. Plywood is cheap.. MDF is the best acoustically while still providing the necessary strength..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us