How Many Watts Do I Need?

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 21
I just got my JL 10w6v2 (1) and I want to know how much wattage of an amp will i need to power one? If Im satisfied with JL, im going to purchase another one. How much wattage will I need to push 2? I just need # of watts and name brands. Thx for you help again guys

Anonymous

about 250 to 500 watts rms is what is recomended by jl audio, 2 of them you would need about 500 to 1000 but you have to have 1000 watts like 750 would be fine now remember 800watts rms running to one of them well void your warenty

its in here some were be sure to have acrobat reader to view this page
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 23
Thx Anon!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
it depends on the rms power of you subs for example if they are 500 watts rms then you need a 2 channel 2000 watt amp and it would run on 1000 rms and that would be perfect. just do the math and it should work out good and also make sure you get a amp that runs the same ohm as your subs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2633
my God, nate, please, stop.
you have no idea what you're talking about.

the JL 10W6v2 takes up to 500wRMS
the JL 500/1 is a good match to one sub.

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 33
Yeah Nate,
2k w's sounds a bit outlandish.

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 34
My subs are 4ohms so what are some good 4 ohm amps?

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 63
I posted this a while back but i have 1 more question. Today my friend was looking at my amp (jl 500.1) and he noticed that i had the gain just a tad bit over a quater.Anything over a quarter makes the sub sound as if it wants to blow. I told him when i saved up i wanted 1 more w6v2 and another 500.1. He told me that since my amp is 25% up for 1 sub that the amp can handle 2 of them. Is this true? Only reply if you know what the hell you are talkin about.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
the gain is only to match the headunits output level and if its at a quater level then that is fine for your setup but just because the gain can go higher doesnt mean you have to and the gain is not there for that.
also if you add another sub for that amp which is a mono amp youll be dividing the wattage (i.e. 250 each) so of course youll be able to turn the gain up or well maybe but its all on how you look at it with 500watts into one sub or 250 into 2 and the only real benefit youll see is the 3db gain from using 2 subs but is it worth the additional cost?
jay

Bronze Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 44
go to the jl website they have a chart of power ratings for all there speakers and exactly how much power you should give the speakers to get the best performance.

Bronze Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 45
oh yeah jay is g@y
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us