OT - Plot the frequency response of your owns ears!

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 361
Check this out guys, see if your hearing is still any good :-)

Also you can see what type of eq tuning would sound best to *your* ears. Very interesting stuff.

Obviously you need a good pair of headphones or a serious sound system connected to your computer to be able to reproduce all of these tones.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/hearing.html

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5839
You'll also notice that your hearing varies with intensity-write down your results at a given volume level (fairly quiet, say barely audible), then go back and turn the volume up much higher (say as loud as is comfortable to you) and see how different your plot will be :-) The ear isn't linear, 85db is where it's flattest, below that we are more sensitive to upper midrange (1-4khz), above 85 we become more and more sensitive to bass and treble.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 369
Yup, very interesting stuff. If you really wanted to create the *perfect* system (perfect for you at least, but then again who cares about anyone else =D ) you could plot your own ears out and EQ accordingly, do they make eq's that automatically adjust at different volume levels or is that just a little too in depth for the audio industry? LOL

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 370
It's funny how everyone avoided this thread like the plague all day.... At least someone appreciates that link :-)

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 371
I also wish it went down to 10 Hz and up to 20khz, because I have these amazing earbuds that can hit 10hz - 20khz. They bump like a mofo too! They sound better (up to a certain volume at least) than even those Bose $300 studio headphones do!

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

US

Post Number: 191
Hey Lewass can u give me the model/make of those ear buds? i was lookin to get some new ones and i wanted some that could really hit those low notes. Thanks a lot.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2034
u knew u drew me in when I seen "plot"... lol
yea, human hearing/body period isnt linear...

Lewass I belive they do make eqs that automatically adjust also.. Also look into some RTA (real time analyzer) software & hardware.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4737
informative info thanks guys. Another great piece of information I saved for myself.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 381
Yeah Gavin, they even come with 3 different sized ear pieces to get the perfect fit (which is do or die with these, because they work kind of like a stethoscope and need to have a good seal to block out outside noise)

They can be had for $50, maybe less now. Sometimes called the Sony "Fontopia" earbuds

Opps my bad, they actually do 6 Hz - 23 Khz! I dunno why I was remembering 10 - 20k, maybe they have improved them since I bought mine a year ago...

Damn it my computer is messed up, won't let me paste!

Go to www.sonystyle.com and search "Fontopia headphones" and make sure you check the specifications, these things are bad azz!

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 382
B, have you seen that flip out screen HU in Eclipse's new catalogue? That thing has path length adjustments and a RTA WITH MIC that you mount in your car that comes with it! Not to mention every adjustment known to man, and a supposedly fast processor... I'm thinking about putting it in my new car, but I would have to tint the windows dark as he11 to avoid getting it stolen, I imagine it costs over $2,000!

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2039
yea, the eclipse hu is what u want. I cant wait to ditch my old A$s alipine hu.. that thing produces a clipped signal.. lol
that eclipse hu has to be sick, they normally always are loaded with nice expensive filters in them..

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 383
The GUI for the Nav looks amazing and 3d as well, best nav map graphics I've ever seen.. We should figure out how much that sucker costs...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5842
With most EQs in car audio, you're able to have a bunch of different presets. You could preset an EQ for low volumes, medium (around 85), and high volume. That's what A-weighted and C-weighted curves are for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us