Why does my sub sound like this???

Bronze Member
Username: Kickerandy

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 35
i have a kicker L7 10" and i have it in a sealed box and when it hits real deep bass, a knocking, or rattling noise starts to come from the sub, so i was wondering what it is????it really bugs me cause its in a silverado so i can hear it pretty easily, so is it somthing really bad, or can it be fixed???please help!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2353
probably blew it.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2354
or possibly led slap. i think L7s are notorious for that.

Bronze Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 37
no it still sounds good, but theres just a knockin noise in there...what is a led slap???

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2359
lead slap is where the tinsel leads slap the cone making a "slap" noise. this occurs at higher excursions to that may be your problem. many companies put a cusion type thing on the back fo the cone to prevent it but L7s do not have it. i would say add it but that would change the parameters of the driver due to a heavier cone.

Bronze Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 41
is that all i can do to it??? or will it permenently be taht way, and does it hurt the sub at all???can i turn it up all the way???

Username: Blue_diamond

Post Number: 3
Well, it seems you might have to work with your cross over on your amp. What you should do is turn your volume up to the highest level that you normally play at and turn down your bass boost on your amp until the knocking stops. If it still knocks at a low volume then you need to fix your woofer.

Bronze Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 42
does it hurt it if i turn it up and the nknoking noise is stilll there???

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2370
depends on what the knocking noise is. if its lead slap no it wont hurt it.... unless your really over excurting the sub and you could rip a tinsel lead. id take it somewhere and have them just take a quick look at it. it should be free. (to look at it, not fix it)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us