How do you find the displacment for box bracing?

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 449
How do you find the displacment for box bracing?

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 785
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
I know about that site but, i want to know how to do it on paper

Bronze Member
Username: Risky

Post Number: 16
what shape is the bracing? didn't you learn geometry in high school?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6828
Ya ^^ -lol

its simple man - LxWxH ......

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
"its simple man - LxWxH ......"

Can you give me an example?

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 362
It is usually a very small difference, but if you want to be precise, lets say your box is 15 inches tall, and you want to brace it with 2 cylindrical braces.

Lets say that each brace is 1 inch diameter.

First, you need to know how tall to make them. Take 15", subtract the thickness of each MDF panel, .75" each, or 1.5" total. So you need each brace to be 13.5 inches tall.

The formula for volume of a cylinder is the surface area of the circle times the height of the cylinder. To find the surface area of a circle is pi*r^2 which might confuse you so hold on while I bust out the character map...

Ok formula is pi*r². So 1 inch diameter = .5 inch radius. So its 3.14 times .5² = .785 in²

Now that we have the surface area of the circle, (which is the length times width part of the formula L*W*H) we can now take the .785 and multiply by the height, which is 13.5.

.785 * 13.5 = 10.5975 in³ for 1 brace. Multiply times the number of braces, in this case 2, which is 21.195 in³ for the total volume of both braces.

Since boxes are measured in cubic feet, not cubic inches, we must do another conversion.

A cubic foot is 12" x 12" x 12", or 1728 cubic inches.(12 times 12 times 12 = 1728)

Lastly, take our 21.195 in³, and divide by 1728 to find out our cubic feet.

21.195/1728 = .012265625 ft³

Now that you see how small a number that is, do you also see why calculating braces is pretty much pointless :-) Just make your box .1 cubic feet bigger to account for 10 of those braces :-) LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
thanks alot Lewass
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us