Amp keeps shutting off...Please help!

Username: Xcrunner13

Post Number: 5
ok so i got my sub (the volfenhagen) and amp (pheonix digital) installed today and it sounds great...when it works. The amp keeps shutting off after about 3-5 minutes of use. It has an automatic shut off if it gets hotter than 185 degrees but it also has it's own cooling fan so i don't think that's what it is. Any ideas??? please help!

subsound
Unregistered guest
what guage wires are you running? I had a friend whose earthquakke would get extreemly hot, and go into protection all the time, until he got the right sized wires

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 32
Sounds like your power wire is to small. AMP need alot of power. Its not overheating- especally if it has a fan. Also check your connections- ground, remote. Make sure they are good on the amp and that the ground has a solid clean connection to the frame. If you power wires are between 7 and 4 gauge wires than its not a problem of small wires. 8 gauge is fine if its a small amp.

Post Number: 6
i have 4 gauge wires, it's a 1200 watt amp running a 1200 watt subwoofer. pd-395 is the amp i have.

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 35
Well its not the size of the wires then.

Username: Stinkfinger

Post Number: 10
Have you tried connecting the positive lead to the negative terminal of the amp and hooking the negative lead to the positive terminal of the amp to see if the amp is shomehow shorted?

Bronze Member
Username: Stinkfinger

Post Number: 11
Just kidding. DONT DO IT!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 24
its because you bought crappy speakers and a crappy amp i doubt that the amp is 1200 watts and the speaker definitely cant handle 1200 watts

Username: Elexpert

Post Number: 9
or if you have it wired wrong you could be trying too low of an impedance

Post Number: 7
i don't think it's wired wrong, i had it installed at circuit city...hopefully they kno what they're doing. I'm taking the amp back tommorow and getting a new one cause i think it's faulty. Not going pheonix digital again tho, any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
your proly overheating your amp or your pushing it to far you either need to turn down your music or turn down your amp a little and that should work.

Bronze Member
Username: Koveaudio

Post Number: 45
i dont think its the wires, i have a pioneer 100 watt amp and i only have 8 gauge running it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us