Would fiberglassing the inside of a box take the place of bracing?

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 444
Would fiberglassing the inside of a box take the place of bracing?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 542
No it wouldn't add enough rigidness, you would need some sort or slats or cross bracing.Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 337
You usually need to brace only if there are large areas that have no support. In my case, I didn't need to brace because the port pieces add a lot of support for the top and bottom panels, but if you have a larger box and narrower port, you would need something that holds the top and bottom pretty hard but doesn't affect air flow inside. Check out the cross section view of the JL 12w7 HO box, they have like 6 or 8 braces inside it and it still cracked from the power of the w7! This guy who works at a local shop here showed me his cracked box, it was unreal. He was running about 1500 rms to it and cracked the sh!t out of it!

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 338
^^ It looked like someone had dropped the loaded enclosure off a 2 story building! All sorts of messed up. haha

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
What if you make the box and double the whole box with 3/4" MDF(total 1.5") would you still need bracing?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 347
Well maybe not, but thats a hell of a lot more work than putting a couple vertical cylinders of wood inside the box :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
how do you find the displacment for bracing?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us