Question for JL W7 owners

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 263
Hey, I got a new JL 12w7 the other day, have not got the enclosure yet but when I unpacked it I ran into a possible problem? When I unscrewed the sub from the packing mount and then tried to put the edge of the foam edge back in place, now I cannot get the darn foam surround back into place, one place always sticks out and when I try to stick it back in them it comes out somewhere ELSE.

I did not undo the whole thing, I followed the directions and just pulled back enough of the surround to get the screw out and then put it back into place. I am hoping that once the thing is hooked up and running the thing will kind of "blow" back into place once the sub starts thumping.

Did anyone else have any issue like this when you were unpacking and installing your new JL or did I do something wrong?

Thanks
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1450
i had no problems with mine, but it sounds like you are trying to put the surround on the inside of the frame when it should be going on the outside. have you looked at the tutorial on JL's site. then the ring holds it in place while the trim ring holds it all in place securely. unless you've pulled on the cone and got the VC out of wack. and do not try to play sub with the surround unsecure or you will knock the VC out of line and ruin the sub!!

funny story about the W7's. a guy brings a W7 back to HIFI buys when i was up there chatting, says theres something wrong with it. sales guy pushes on the cone, notices that is moves way too easy. then notices that the surround doesn't move with the cone, and sees its not even attached to the cone! the guy had cut the surround at the cone off because he couldn't figure out how to get to the mounting screws....lol, now thats funny!!

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 264
Oh, man I am not that stupid!! But almost........yes you are right I was trying to get the surround on the inside, heck I did read the directions on the paperwork but guess I failed to notice how it was mounted when I took it out of the packing mount.

THANK YOU Brandon all is well now, I just can't wait to get the box I ordered and hook this sucker up!

Thanks again I owe you one that was simple yet I just did not notice it, that is what great advice at forums are for.

Mike

Bronze Member
Username: Akula_class

Post Number: 38
Ouch. I wonder if it was covered under the warrenty. I doubt it and thats reeks for that guy.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 269
I doubt it! how do explain sawing darn thing? At any rate I am glad I did not do that and followed the directions at least to a point until Brandon showed me my faults I am glad I did not screw it up. Cant WAIT until I get the enclosure I ordered to hook this up, going to a Hifonics 1500 D which should give it a perfect 750 watts RMS.

Looks cool even sitting on the floor in the garage!!!!!

Upload

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2032
wow...now thats beautiful

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1455
again, it looks like you put the surround on the inside of the frame instead of the outside...

and actually, JL honored the warranty and gave the guy a new W7, we were all supprised. guess it'd look bad for a company to call its customer a dumbass, even though he was, lol.

it should look like this with the ring and trim piece off.
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5411
That's why I recommend W7. They have one of the best warrany out there.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 398
whut vc w7 do u have

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 333
Well you could have put a better beer next to it... aha

Silver Member
Username: Spyder