Has anyone else had this happen?

Username: Theweasel

Post Number: 1
i WAS running two Kicker 05S12L5-2 subs off of a orion 1200d. one day i put on late nite tip really loud and i heard this really low popping noise. i opened up my trunk and the rubber surround was detatched from the rest of the speaker but still attatched to the woofer. i have them wired right and i had had them for 4 months. Anyone else

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2503
that is from over excursion.

do you have them in a vented box? (if so, do you have your SSF set right?)
you were prolly overdriving them.

Post Number: 2
it was a ported box tuned to 47hz. i dont know what ssf stands for

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2338
sub sonic filter. that box has a very high tune. when you play anything below 47hz the sub will exceed its linear excursion capabilities. what you did was play a song that drops down to like 30hz and they were probably moving far past what they are mechanically capable of. what you needed to do was set your SSF at about 45hz so that when you play a frequency below tune the sub will get less power. is that a daily setup? because you shouldnt have had them in that box if so.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2515
^yep...exactly what Trevor said.

47hz tuning??? wow, that way to high for daily driving. Try 35hz w/ those L5's.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1460
holy sh1t, 47hz daily, damn i bet those subs sound awful, i bet they get pretty loud though. but isn't cone seperation a natural thing with square subs.

Post Number: 4
i drive to work at 6:00 in the morning and nothing wakes you up like 151.9 db of late nite tip bass shaking your eardrums to death. thanks for the help, i'll try to fix this problem in the future.

>>Dustin, they were loud as sh!t but they still sounded pretty good

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2342
sorry to bust your bubble. but i HIGHLY doubt your hitting 151.9. it can be done, but you dont even know what a SSF is. even with a high tuned box you probably wouldnt hit that number at 50hz. nevermind late night tip. with more power and a box designed to peak at your vehicles resonant frequency that number is possible though.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2343
if you like loud drive to marshalls house and listen to his SX. i bet its louder and once you hear his... you wont think they sound good anymore...

note: im not saying literally drive to marshalls house, but maybe an SX is what your looking for if you want to get into car audio a little more.

Post Number: 5
i did put up 151.9 db at 50 hz but it was in the port. but it definately sounded more impressive without that little detail at the end.

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 624
what is your SSF set to?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us