Is it possible to just glue an enclosure together NO screws?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 530
I have been debating if I should either create a glass enclosure under my deck lid in the trunk or actually assemble one out of either 3/4" birch or 5/8" MDF that will actually bolt to my back seat support. I will then be able to get a good 8CF of space, enough to fit two 15's (RE's of course :-) ) behind my back seat. I will not be able to screw the sides down due to the location of the strut towers so I need to use a combination of adhesive then follow up with resin/fiberglass on the inside. I need some pointers and or some adhesive recommendations. The back wall of the enclosure will be screwed down then carpeted. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 541
WTF, BUMP THIS FUKER!

Bronze Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Post Number: 35
depending on how good the subs are, your box is gonna fall apart

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6812
use a product called LIQUID NAILS - that sh!t is super strong , but of course screws r best .....

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5822
Really screws don't do anything for an enclosure other than hold it together while the glue is drying. A glued joint is far stronger than screws are, and it's possible to glue without screws as long as you line the panels up.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3381
jonathan, you glue your subs to your enclosures ?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5826
"jonathan, you glue your subs to your enclosures ?"

No, I'm no that obsessive :-). Screws and T-nuts for me.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3251
lol.

jonathan, it should be okay then to just use one screw to hold the box in place until the glue dries?

Silver Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 116
then you turn it up and the box just blows to peices :-) i can picture it now :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 219
make the box just a tad bit shorter....they do make some very nice right-angled drills that can get into some tight places.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 331
HE IS TALKING ABOUT 2 NEW XXX's !!!!!!!!!!!!

There is not a snowball's chance in h3ll of that box staying together with just glue.

Bronze Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Post Number: 48
dont waist your time

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 544
Who said I was talking about XXX's ( :-O ) ? It could be just one, lol. I was going to use either Gorrilla glue or epoxy then glass the inside or maybe even add angle aluminum and use screws from the inside out? Once the panels are in place it will be impossible to access it from the outside. The back panel if you can picture it will be screwed down probably with inserts and cap head screws for accessibilty. Polo.

Bronze Member
Username: Devastation101

Post Number: 44
Yea, I would use Gorilla glue, that sh1t is damn near impossible to penetrate! That'll probably be your best bet.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 982
guys... like jonothan said screws do nothing to hold the box together.. they hold it in place while the glue dries, moreso they tighten the gap inbetween pieces which will make a stronger joint.. the bigger the void the weaker it is.. most decent cabinet glues will bond the joint just as good as the wood itself. ive built a few without screws u just have to use clamps.. but screws are far easier.. id stay away from the gorrilla glue, thats one of those adhesives that works on many different materials.. doesnt mean its the best on them, i doubt it will penetrate the wood and bond it as well as cabinet glue

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2514
yes, you can build a box w/ no screws...just clamp it together while the glue dries.

oh...and gorrilla glue works VERY well on MDF. just dampen the wook alil before you apply the glue. (the glue swells after about 1-2hours, you have to wipe away the excess)

---i usually use Elmar's Wood Glue---

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2340
i use PL400 construction glue. i like it better than liquid nails

Username: Shortysetnies

Post Number: 5
Um....paper mache boxes work great. Just make sure that you have a good sense of humour when you TRY to mount the sub.... Let us know how it turns out. These boxes are not all that good for SQ or SPL but are great in the POS category.

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 406
Yes, you don't need screws, both those other guys are right...glue is much stronger it actually chemically bonds the wood to the point where the wood is going to break before the joint thats glued. Don't use gorilla glue....it's not a true wood glue...us elmers wood glue or liquid nails. As long as you clamp it good and tight and let it dry for long enough teh box should hold up. Oh, BTW, Polo you are fricking insane!!!! (2 new xxx's...)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 548
Oh, BTW, Polo you are fricking insane!!!! (2 new xxx's...)

AGAIN, I didn't say I was gonna mount two XXX's BUT most DEFINATELY ONE not TWO, lol. Polo.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Maple Grove, MN United States

Post Number: 244
"i use PL400 construction glue. i like it better than liquid nails"

my bro works at menards in paint and said next time i make a box use PL400 cause its suppose to be some crazy stuff

Silver Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 136
that XXX is going to blow your box up

just my 2 cents...screws should give the box more stability when they start to flex since the screws are inside the wood holding the wood in place glue is only on the outsidejust go with what you said about the aluminum corner peices with screws

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 355
I would get a right angle drill accessory, and use at least a couple screws. The glue might not move, but the little bit of MDF touching the glue could strip right off the rest of the MDF..

It seems like with a sub that powerful, you need something that gets a good grip up in the MDF, not just a touching bond, because the wood can strip right off.

If a w7 can bust it's own H.O. box, I seriously doubt that some damn glue with no screws will withstand the new XXX for long.. Not to mention that it's expensive equipment, and better safe than sorry!

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 356
Just thought of a good idea, just predrill all the screw holes while it is outside of your vehicle, then go and screw the screws in by hand using a little stub screwdriver.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6840
IMO - i don't care who says screws r not really necessary & that glue alone can hold a box secure .
Lemme explain - with 2day's high wrms subs (like a single 2500wrms 15/18" or like Atomics 4/5000wrms+ subs) & the immense air flow & forces acting in a box , can we honestly expect even the strongest glues 2 hold a box with these monsters together !? .
I'm betting a big NO - i would most definitely hate 2 have my box burst @ its seams & possibly damage expensive stuff & even myself around it (there r pics online of this happened 2 ppl b4).

Hey who wants 2 NOT use any screws thats ur choice - i will play it sensible/safe & continue using sufficient screws in ALL my boxes ....

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 839
Screws are really only used to hold the box together while the glue is drying. The glue bond is what holds the box together, and is actually stronger than the MDF itself. Try unscrewing all the screws out of your enclosures, take a hammer, and hit the bonded sections of the MDF. The MDF will chip and break away, and the glued sections will not come apart (of course, unless you did a really crappy job of glueing :-( )
If you're building a box for two high power subs like that, the internal bracing is a LOT more important than screws.
I personally use both, I'm not that great of a wood worker, so any help with keeping everything in line is good in my book! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Post Number: 666
u have to use screws when ur building a box with high wattage subs ur box is gonna fall aprt just ask B his box fell the h3ll aprt with his two treos if you dont use screws just be prepared to build a new one soon.

Username: Buckshot2

Lynn Haven/Panama City..., FL

Post Number: 3
the glue might hold the box together but like people have stated its not worth trying it and your box blow up or fall apart when you turn the XXX up then a peice of wood goes through the VC or cone i dont think it would be worth trying the theory out on a $700 sub....

Username: Buckshot2

Lynn Haven/Panama City..., FL

Post Number: 4
crap not the VC the other thingy in the sub you get the idea though :-)

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 408
I love how people don't understand that screws do almost nothing in woodworking where glue is used properly. Yah if you can use them...i will use both cause its easier than clamping...but the glue is much much stronger than most people think. The screws will just strip/pull out with enough force...the whole board will break before the glue...lol w/e though i don't wanna piss anyone of too much by being right....

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 556
I do agree, better safe than sorry, makes perfect sense to me. A stubby screwdriver will not work in this case because the side panels will only have enough space against the strut towers to fit a couple of layers of DynaMat. What about internal screwing with angle aluminum and combination of glues and epoxy resins? After I get it all assembled I could glass over anyting extra like bracing. Hey would birch be more rigid and if so what thickness would be sufficient? My Tcab box uses Birch @ 3/4" and is a whole lot lighter than an MDF box. Polo.

PS- notice how shiny it is when it is coated in resin.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2040
" The screws will just strip/pull out with enough force...the whole board will break before the glue...lol w/e though i don't wanna piss anyone of too much by being right...." JOSH
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FYI, screws dont ever pull, strip out! You must be talkin/thinkin about a NAIL!

"u have to use screws when ur building a box with high wattage subs ur box is gonna fall aprt just ask B his box fell the h3ll aprt with his two treos if you dont use screws just be prepared to build a new one soon." NEMEN

yepp, Im with Rovin, glue AND screws...
my ported box is resonating/flexing from the front baffle and the port resonates, cause its glued not screwed... sounds like 2 peices of wood fu(kin..
however im redoin the entire box, with a double baffle, resin, the whole 9.. entensively braced!!

Polo just make sure to use all types of glues & screws..

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 558
But what your take on the aluminum angle? Think about it, glue the box edges then take a piece of alu angle and drill holes down the length of both sides using screws and epoxy like Anchor Tite which is strong as hell to add support. Polo.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 385
Damn Polo those flared aeros look menacing as phuk! I'll have to look you up next time I'm in chicago and hear your system!

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1119
im with rovin on this one i would def put screws on it what happens if the glue doesnt dry correctly then your screwed so put screws in to back up the glue wouldnt you rather be safe then sorry

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 386
Yea I know what your saying, I don't see any reason why you couldn't secure the pieces from the inside.. Just make sure that when its all finalized that you use some good filler and make all the inside surfaces flat and smooooth.

Bronze Member
Username: Eprussian07

Post Number: 86
I think I just sh/-\t myself...

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 866
Good woodworking glue is stronger than natural wood itsself. Caulking is the preffered adhesive in enclosure building because you want an "airtight" seal. Screws hold the box together while the glue/caulking is curing, not just dry to the touch.

Another option is to use wood bondo. Its just like auto body bondo, but for wood. It is mixed with hardener just the same. Using this product will help seal the joints just like caulking, but it isnt easy to apply, especially in tight spaces.

I would try glue first, and make sure you do something to keep the joint together with either a clamp, strap, or anything that would apply enough pressure to hold it together till the glue cured. Then I would run a healthy bead of caulking on the inside to eliminate any leaks. This may be your best option, since screws are not going to work, and using just glue/caulking without screws or finish nails, will probably leak later on or fall appart due to too much vibration.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 843
"FYI, screws dont ever pull, strip out! You must be talkin/thinkin about a NAIL!"
Last I checked, MDF distinigrates (sp?).

"my ported box is resonating/flexing from the front baffle and the port resonates, cause its glued not screwed... sounds like 2 peices of wood fu(kin.."
It's got nothing to do with your glue or screws, you must not have braced or baffled it sufficiently for the sub you were using. As I said before, bracing is much more important than screws.
Also, what mixneffect said. I used silicone on my boxes instead of a "normal" caulk, seemed to work ok.
Also, I'm not looking to start a flame war, that's just my take.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 563
"i use PL400 construction glue. i like it better than liquid nails"

I went to Home Depot to check this stuff out seemed pretty impressive. I then came across this stuff called I think it was PC11 (something like that) and it had a display that said "Never possible before" or something. It showed materals that in the past couldn't be bonded so I tried pulling the pieces off the board, wouldn't budge. First I tried ripping off a little glass rock that was bonded to wood, then a piece of angle Aluminum attached to MDF, no go, I mean I reall tried. I deliver refrigerators for a living, I'm no pVssy, the sh!t wouldn't budge. I then went to the tool dept and grabbed a roofing hammer then went back, lol. I started beating on the display over and over trying to break it loose, this sh!t wouldn't move, the rack started to shake nasty too. After I got done and I actually broke some of the glass rock that was glued down I turned around and noticed I had about 5 employees staring at me, then they said "pretty good stuff, eh?" , lOl. I had a fricken audience... Polo.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6854
crazyman Polo - Upload

LOL !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us