Best advice givers, this will be a challenge for you.

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 363
Ok

Basically, I haven't experienced the pleasure of hearing a sub(s) that hits all the lows in rap songs without going from really loud at one frequency in the bass line to the point of not being able to hear the frequencies below that.

I know part of my problem is that my 12" Image Dynamics IDQ d2 v2 is in too small of a box. It needs around .55-1.00 cu ft of space to work good and they say .85 is ideal.

Mine is in about .46 cu ft after sub displacement. The reason for this is that I have a Dodge Dakota standard cab and i don't have room for much more.

Again, when it plays rap it goes from really loud to almost not hearing it and it sucks. People ask me like "is that as low as your sub goes?" so i know its not right.

SO, i was thinking of selling that 12" to a friend and buying two 10" idq's because someone told me before that with the box i have my 12 in it would be ideal for a 10.

I know the 2 10's would get louder, but since they're only tens (even though they'd be in their right box), would they hit low and not sound too weak? After all, they say the whole thing about the IDQ's is that they get low in small enclosures.

I know its not going to be like a ported box tuned to 28hz but would it be worth selling my 12 and buying two 10's as well as building the boxs?

Few, i know thats a lot but i just want to be at least satisfied when i drive around and not be pissed that i have a retarted system lol.

one more thing, I like good sounding music but i do think im leaning more towards spl than sq. That doesnt mean i want it to sound like sh*it tho. But would anyone recomend another sub because i know idq's arent spl subs at all.

Thx, help would be muchhh appreciated because no one in my area knows wtf they're talkin about, including the stupid people at the audio shop.

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 438
Have you tried to put poly fill in your box, it makes the sub react like the box is bigger

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 364
i asked about that but the guy who i talked to on here before said in my case it wouldnt make much of a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 323
Check ur low pass, maybe it got turned up.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 325
I think you need to check out your problem first, the IDQ is a great sub. And don't let anyone convince you that you don't want SQ, you just need to get louder SQ! I started to think I wanted spl too after hearing my "quiet" system for a while. But now I am hitting hard AND sounding good! It was a long process and a huge pain in the a.ss, and lots of waiting (I HATE waiting) but the moral of the story is that in the end it was worth 10 times more aggravation for an end result that I am satisfied as he1l with! :-)

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 326
Besides, you usually need a relatively huge box to get a flat curve like you want. So that polyfill idea is probably a good one.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2024
do u have a bench seat in ur dakota?, if so try getting 2 bucket seats and then u will have a gap in the middle, then put a sub there

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 327
(Research it more before u do anything though)

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 365
I completely get you lewass but your missing my main problem, space. I really have no space to work with so doing what you said is literally impossible.

And yes I have a bench seat but that idea about getting bucket seats aint a bad idea. How much would the seats + installation cost?

But yeah, basically, will the 2 10's give me at least what im looking for? How much less efficient are 10's than 12's?

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 614
the 2 10's wil give you what your looking for. everone's opinion on sub sizes differ, but going from 10 to 12 is 3 db's, so its your call. yo should be satisfied.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 366
i think thats what im going to do. either that or somehow build a box that fits the 12 i have.

any other imput as well would be nice. thx

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 702
the 10's will not be as deep as your 12 but if your 12 cannot have the proper air space it needs then 10's may be your best bet. how limited on space are you do you think you could fit 1 10w7?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 367

after im telling you i cant fit an idq with at least minimum box cu ft.. wut makes you think i might be able to fit a w7? lolol

that thing needs 8" of mounting depth let alone idk how much box space

again, if you were me, what would you do?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5821
In this case, the 10" would get lower. A 10" in an optimal box will do much better than a 12" in a sub-par one. The characteristics you're describing is exactly what will happen to a sub in too small an enclosure. 2 10s would definately get louder than 1 12", and they'd also get lower because of the added displacement.

You could make multiple 8" subs handle lows better than a 15" if you had enough of them. This is done in home audio with line arrays, even multiple 7" midbass drivers can go flat to 30hz in a room due to the displacement of multiple drivers. This is because you get more efficiency down low since the speakers aren't at their excursion limits.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 864
When adding polyfill you actually need more volume as per BassBoxPro6. Stuffing usually tames the box resonance, and it may help lower the FO.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2031
"And yes I have a bench seat but that idea about getting bucket seats aint a bad idea. How much would the seats + installation cost?"

installation should be pretty cheap. U could prolly pull sum bucket seats from a junker car if u wanted, but u can get sum apc racing seats that look pretty nice for cheap

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 368
thx jonathan i think thats what ive decided im going to do.

thx everyone for the help too

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Alabama

Post Number: 1022
your welcome
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us