What exactly is SPL?

Username: Vc23

Post Number: 6
I know sq is how good its sounds, but what exactly is spl, i know its sound pressure level, but what exactly is that?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6216
How loud

This will tell u exactly what it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 403
Yah...um how loud something is to our ears depends on the pressure of the wave.... the equation is something like 20log(P/2x10^-5)=dB...thats with pressure in newtons per square meter (yay high school physics). And if you multiply the pressure by 10 it adds 20 dBs...i think lol.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 343
Basically a loud SPL system will "pressurize" the cabin inside the vehicle, "sound pressure level" pretty much explains itself. For example, sit in a car with multiple 15's and play a continuous pressure bass note, and it will feel like your ears want to pop! Just like flying on a plane only x 10!

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 151
WELL WHAT ABOUT THE BASS U FEEL MORE SO THAN HEAR. IS THAT SPL TOO? JW

Silver Member

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 158
bump

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 406
yeah it just below ur hearing frequency capabilites in you ear....

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 377
No J-dub, that type of sound wouldn't score as high on a mic, but the answer to that is complicated though, there are many factors involved. The bass that you feel deep in ur chest is usually lower frequencies, they are less directional than higher frequency waves, and are the type that can be heard from farther away. The higher frequency bass is what will score higher on the mic's (higher spl numbers). For example, it is MUCH easier to hit 150 dB at ~48 Hz than it is to do at ~25 Hz (it would take a rediculous system to hit 150 dB @ 25 Hz)

The other factors involved I am less sure about. For example, my three 10's feel like they are punching you in the gut, but they are very pleasant on my ears, there is not much of that pressure feeling unless I really blast it.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 159
ohh ok i see Lewass. I want my new system to be one that i can feel in my gut instead of it hurting my ears. That kind of bass is very annoying to me. i was looking at those subs u have but i wanted to get twelves. but they dont look like they'll do the job.

Bronze Member
Username: Vc23

Post Number: 11
what 10's you got lewass? will 2 12w7s sound that way?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us