My finished box w/ 3 10's @ 35 Hz

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 296
So here we go:

I was in Tennessee last weekend and had to postpone the rest of my box project, but now it's finished and these little monsters hit beautifully! I don't have the electrical system to properly power it but from what I can put through them they sound amazing. I didn't know bass could hit that crisp and precise.

The subwoofer:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

The box:
Upload
(^^^ I'm like hmmm, I have no idea how to do this. LOL)
Upload
(^^^ My terminals)

A little motivation and a couple hours later, I was able to balance the pieces into place, and by God, it looked like a sub box!

So I finally get the holes cut using a Rotozip with the circle cutting attachment (I used a practice piece first.) Then I used a power sander to make the top flat for screwing the lid on. I did all the main wiring inside the box before I put the lid on, which was a great idea. I also pre-crimped all the connectors so I could just slide them onto the subwoofers terminals for a snug fit, with no in-the-box crimping needed!

So I go to put the thing in my trunk, excited as he11, and it WOULDN'T FIT!!! BY LESS THAN HALF AN INCH!! If I wasn't getting a new car soon I would be pissed! Thankfully there was room for my three
"back seat drivers" (Ba-dum-ching!)

Upload
Upload

The trunk it wouldn't fit in:
Upload

The Amp that is currently clipping, er, I mean, powering them: (haha)
Upload

Before you ask, that sub in the trunk is my Mofo, which I am happy to retire.

P.S. Don't ever bust out that "This thread is worthless without pics" on me again Rovin!!! LOL

Silver Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 297
Oops, heres the terminals:
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2478
that amp should produce ~1000wrms. those model SPL's are a good buy (rebadged JL w3's)

the box looks darn pretty good...did you glue all the joints? (i noticed you only used a few screws)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6781
haha - i just happen 2 b on here now

sh!t looks decent , man

u said above the box is 1/2" too big 2 fit ur trunk - did u try removing the trunk edge seal & see if it could possibly fit ?

Looks good but when u get time - carpet it ! .....Upload

Silver Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 298
It's about half an inch from fitting if the seal wasn't there! I was thinking about bending it! lol

To all who helped me with advice - Thanks a lot guys, couldn't have done it without ya! I have no previous experience with any of this, and it came out great! Here's proof that your time spent giving advice is not wasted! I try to give advice whenever I am knowledgable enough to help "pay it forward"

The subs are actually rebadged w6's :-)

You can't tell from the picture but I used a lot of screws for the top and bottom edges of the baffle, like 1 screw every 3.5 to 4 inches or so. And I did glue most of the seams, but didn't glue the seams around the edge of the top piece (I am planning on buying a JL 1000/1 at some point, and when I do I'll change the wiring to a 4 Ohm load and glue along all the seams that I can reach)

Silver Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 299
I will be carpeting the second I know what color interior my new Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd is going to have ;)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6192
nice,

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 328
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Post Number: 653
hey lewas nic work they lookn nice for your first box lol you know hoew tall that box is and how wide.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3247
very nice looking box you made their lewass. looks like they will sound good.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 329
Thanks guys, yea Nemen it's 15 inches tall 36 wide and 17.25 deep. It would fit really nicely inside the trunk, but it wont go in!

Bronze Member
Username: Bassheadjosh

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 19
That's tight man. You have any idea how many internal cubic feet the box is?

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 442
Nice looking box for your first time man.Once you build 1 box ur addicted :-)

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 332
Exactly 3 net cubes.

Yea I am already dreaming up ideas to build more boxes for my other subs, haha. I got 7 subs! 4 need a new home! So I figure I'll sell them for real cheap to my friends and build them boxes and install them, so I can bump all the time whether I'm driving or not! Haha

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 443
does them bolts work good as terminals?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 336
Well they aren't user friendly in terms of hooking the box to the amp, because you have to use needlenose pliers or a small wrench and turn the bolt down tight. But other than that small issue, they work great! I had some good pictures of the internal wiring which looked pretty cool, but I took them with my phone and the b.astard died on me the other day and the pictures were lost.

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 150
HEY LEWASS I WAS THINKIN ABOUT GETTIN THE 12" VERSION BUT NEWAY I KNOW U ONLY HAVE 10'S BUT DO THEY HIT LOW AND STILL GET SOMEWHAT LOUD.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 153
BUMP

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 348
I probly should have tuned a little lower, the kick drums and impact bass lines are definitely louder than the rolling lows, but it still gets mighty low for 10's!

They are dvc 6 ohm, so 3 of them is the best config, because of 1 ohm or 4 ohm wiring options. I was going to do 3 12's but thats a lot harder to fit in your car. Plus, 3 10's is more cone surface area than 2 12's.

I can make some videos w/ my digi camera but I don't know a good place to host them...

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 349
My whole front dashboard is turning into one large omnipotent rattling noise. Haha

Silver Member

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 155
REALM OF EXCURSION IF U WANT TO MAKE A VIDEO. http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 442
Where did you get your subs?? Is there any more left of those?? Anyone that knows where you can buy these subs please let me know..

Is this one of them?? I doubt it, but jw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPL-CAL-10-10-Inch-1200W-DVC-SUBWOOFER-with-600-Watts_W0QQit emZ5870433689QQcategoryZ3291QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 352
No, that's what SPL's normal subwoofers look like.. lol, total crap..

Got them from millionbuy.com $40 a piece Upload

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 444
http://www.millionbuy.com/spljws10.html

would these be them?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2344
million buy is all sold out. sorry guys