Blown RE SXs mystery

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 186
two re sx 15s in a 7^ft box tuned to 28hz.
two cerwin vega exl 1000ds wired 1ohm to each
gains turned up just a tad over 1/2 and the power was just a tad over 3/4
on each sub you can feel the coil rubbing on the inside of the magnet.. what happened exactly?

one other question.. will RE fix the subs for free or will the warranty possibly be voided? btw.. i can only fit 1 15 in my car now so im thinking stick to one SX or dump both and go for one MT..

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 187
bump

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2472
so you were running 2 1000wrms amps...did you have a 200A+ alt and a deep cycle batt (or 2)???

when you say "the power was just a tad over 3/4", do you mean that the bass-boost on the amps was 3/4 of the way up...of the HU volume?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 837
Either the VC unraveled or somehow the former is crooked and it's rubbing. Clipping maybe?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 522
The VC was over heated and warped, RE will not cover this. According to them if there was enough heat to warp a coil this constitutes a form of abuse, either too much power (not likely), running a clipped input signal or running your amp below its input power capability causing the amp itself to run a straight dc output. I am running sx15 with a Kicker sx1250.1 and it is rated at 1440 wrms plus I play to impress using around 6-9dbs of bass boost at times. Call them and see what they tell you, I had already asked that question before I bought them. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 188
I was running two batteries with stock alt (105A). If they do not cover it they will cost $65 a piece to be repaired but shipping will kill me. Anyone know a good rate? I'm shipping from Tx. The Bass boost was a little over half on the amp along with the power of the amp itself, that was a little over 3/4. (Marshall) Either way my system is over for now heh.. Now I've got two blown SX and two 1000rms amps to power nothing :P .. not to mention a Clarion touch screen and two RE 8"s just sitting around.. Btw.. for the next system... stick with one full powered SX or should I opt for an MT? I'd like to compete again but can only fit 1 15". I was very impressed with the SXs ability to give good sound quality though so I'm leaning that way since it would be the cheaper route.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2028
theres ya prob udde...stock alt, but that sux what happened.
id go with the MT if ur competing

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2505
yea...dont use Bass Boost, you were prolly clipping the amps.

If i were you and those 2 amps were strappable...i would go w/ 1 SX15 on 1 amp for daily. Then for comps, i would run both amps strapped. I'm doing 148+ w/ 1200w...w/ a lil work and 2000w+, you should be able to top 150.

what kind of vehicle are you getting?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 543
People need to train there ears to tell when there stuff is clipping, VERY noticeable. To safely add bass boost you need set the volume of the HU first, zero boost and if all is clean then add a little at a time to a desireed level. I have seen people who don't even have a remote (a must) just dial up a huge amount and leave it set. Each piece of music will only allow sooo much bass so it needs to be adjusted after you have done the volume. Remember, the music must be clean because if it isn't and it has recorded clipping, the amp will clip also regardless of power. This goes especially for those P2P sites because a lot of people try to use programs to boost the output of it and never notice that certain frequencies are clippng, usually the low end. While I am downloading a particular song I will listen to a piece (sample) and if it sounds ok, I will let it go. Later when it is done I run it through a program and see if it has been clipped, if not the program will allow me to boost it a little (.5 to .75 db typical) so that the level isn't so low. Clean music is just as important to longivity, JMHO..Polo. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us