Insane trunk rattle

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 335
man i was really pissed cause it litterally sounded like my trunk lid was just gonna fly off goin down the road with my subs turned up... i rotated my subs to the fron of the car and opened my seat and the subs started to sound crappier than usual... so i turned em back around... opened up my back seat and started pressin on my trunk... as soon as i reache in to find the rattle and touched the trunk lid the rattles stopped.. i was like huh? did it again and the rattle stopped... i looked around and there are 2 bars that go across my trunk lid that are bangin togeather... i held one and the rattle is gone.... i didnt think of this cause when i sit on the trunk it goes away... well anyway they are about a 1/4 inch apart and roughly 10 MM thick... does anyone have any suggestions on keeping them apart... the catch is that the bars rotate with the trunk and come closer togeather the further it opens..

1990 Honda Accord Dx

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 174
would putting some silicone between them work?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 577
Try some aound proffing foam my Malibu has the same kind of support bars in my trunk.

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 380
wrap them in dynamat or something???? enough that they are touching so they are in contact already and can't hit maybe? Lol i hate my trunk i put on 3 layers of fatmat (which sucks its already falling off, I'm definatly getting some second skin as soon as i have some spare $$$) and my trunk still rattled, then i figured out it wasn't my trunk lid but my whole back deck that was moving up and down.

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 114
what u talkin about josh i put fat mat all in my car the whole car an it didnt fall off i did my trunk lid like 2 months ago an still is up there go0d u must of not cleand the surface that great but i still got rattle tho but its all under the car lol gas tank under carage acc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
I cleaned surface and used roller like no other...and it still is sorta loose/i know it will fall off when summer hits/it gets warmer. I should have just saved my money and bought a better dampener, yah you get a lot of it for the money but the customer service sucks and the product isnt that great IMO, i will definitly be going with second skin next time....

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 185
does the fat mat still stop the rattling though? i was thinking of putting some sound damping material in rear hatch of my ford explorer suv, and wanted the cheapest possible. doesn't need to stick to anything just putting it under the plastic.

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
I think it would stop the rattling if i put it everywhere i needed it lol, i still rattle cause my back deck needs some of it but my amp is mounted there...but i don't have subs hooked up anymore so its not a problem :-)

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 336
i was thinking of filling my trunk lid with some sort of soft filler... a good thick gel like substance... just pour it in and let it dry out... i'm sre its easy to do... than throw a couple of layers of fat mat.... than i dont have to fill in the frame work and it wont weigh alot... kinda like an experiment... i think it would work...

i was thinking of using the foam stuff... but it wouldnt stop the rattles... maybe a rubber layer... i might just do that.. ittle stop the metal to metal klanking atleast and i can still open my trunk without issues... allthough i never use it anyway

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 584
If you are desperate you could use aresol window sealing foam then cut of the excess and add fat mat over it.
Those bars only support your trunk's shape really.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us