Whats wrong with my VOLTAGE???

Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 1
I been spending all this money on my system and i still cant turn the amp up more then 20% without my voltage dropping massivly i just installed a 200amp alternator and still loose voltage even with my 0 gauge. This is my system everything i got......Its hooked up at 1 ohm so it should be capable of handling 4000-5000rms

200amp alternator
Kenwood KDC528 CD-player
(2)12" Audiobahn Immortal Series Subwoofers Quad Voice Coil 4000Watts Each. , in ported boxes(expensive ones too $250 for both)
2 Optima Redtop Dry-cell Batterys
0 Gauge power
25 Farad Power Acoustik Capacitor
Earthquake PHD10000W\2 10,000Watt Mono Block Class D
(2) 420Watt 5-way Pioneer 6x9 w\boxes

I spend too much money i need it to work right@@! HElp me

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1425
do you lose the voltage at idle??
higher RPMs??
Both??

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1426
also, 5000Wrms is a little over 400amps of power...

Il USA

Post Number: 2
I lose it at both i get a little more volume level when im getting 2000rpms or so, Is power Acoustik a crappy brand for a high powered Competition Amp?

Il USA

Post Number: 4
Also my amp likes to cutout and i have to turn the remote off and on to get my amplifier to give me sound again any ideas?

Il USA

Post Number: 5
Also my amp likes to cutout and i have to turn the remote off and on to get my amplifier to give me sound again any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1938
1st off, 200a is too little! u trying to push all these amps and stuff, with a 200a? U need like a 350a atleast, or dual alternator setups.. Also make sure that you have alot of amps @ idle!

2nd, with this much current flow, you need more than 1 run of 0ga! maybe 2-3runs of 0ga... You also need a BIG 3 upgrade!

3rd, your using the wrong batteries! red tops are for cranking amps, NOT deep cycle. U need to switch those for about 2-3 yellow tops!!

4th, how are the quad coils wired?>? what is the final ohm load to the amp? r u sure its NOT lower than the amps min ohm load?

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 420
I can't really remember but I'm pretty sure that amp is only 2 ohm stable. which could account for the thing cutting out.(Thats a heck of an amp by the way.)
Also double check the ground make sure it is good and tight.

Thats all i can think of at the moment but then again it's late

Il USA

Post Number: 6
I checked with earthquake it is 1ohm stable unless linked then it becomes on 2ohm stable. I Have no idea where i can find a way to get dual alternators, i wanted to go ahead and get another 200A alternator but cannot find anywhere to get it done.

Il USA

Post Number: 7
Also i have good grounds and also doubled my wires from the alternator to battery\to ground, it seems the AMP cuts out when it hits a high peak of power and a higher bass not then the normally very low ones. Would this be protection for lack of power maybe?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1947
the amp is 1ohm stable ok, but is the load at 1ohm or higher?? a lower ohm load than 1 will cause the amp to cutoff!
check Nathan about dual alternators and the brackets... www.excessiveamperage.com / also how many runs of 0ga you got going to the back of the vehicle? If not enough current is flowing back there, the amp will cutoff also! That amps seems to be pulling tremendous amounts of current!

KEEP IT LOW! cause u gonna end up clipping the hell out of something!

Il USA

Post Number: 8
When i put theohm meter on the 2 subs where the wires connect to the amp it reads at 1ohm to .9ohm it jumps back and forth, I have 1 0gauage going to the back i also just grinded regrounded my batterys\amp and also soldiered the gound to the vehicle to make sure it is good, My fan on my amp never turns on, i believe it is bad, i am going to work on sending it back for a new one withihin the month, could this have any problem to do with the mega power demand being so high with low settings on the amp. At the most i will put 50% and my ears still dont gert the hurting pressure as if i would turn it up more, i know somebody with first generation solar barrick subs and it wangs almost as hard as mine, and he only got a 1600watt mono block with about 50% gain set.

Il USA

Post Number: 10
I almost forgot the power wires never get hot so i know that it isnt passing more amps then it can handle, when i had all 4 gauge they got hot as hell. Now they stay completely cool.

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 11
Is there any way i can change my ohms to 2ohms on these two subs that i got? THey are Quad(4) 2Ohm Voice Coils i have 2 of these i want to wire togethor at 2ohms, any idea?

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 12
Would me wiring the speakers with 12guage speakerwire be a problem, should i upgrade it to maybe 7 gauge?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us