Blowing fuses...

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 82
Alright i've installed hundreds of amps, honestly.

A guy brought a audiobahn amp, sub, and cap to my shop to have it installed. I told him 60 for the amp, 17 for the sub, and 30 for the cap. He was like alright.

I use a grommet everytime I install due to shorting, So I drilled a nice new hole for the snap grommet. Fit the power wire through. He had 4 gauge street wires he got from another store. I got a nice ground. .08 ohms resistance on the ground measuring back to batt. - . 12.58V on the power wire. 12.3 on the remote. But the two 30 amp fuses on the side of the amp blew. So i turned everything off. Put in two more 30 amp fuses. Check my wires again. Cut it on, it popped again. So I made sure everything at the cap was right. Everything was right. Like I said everything was done correctly. I checked the impedance on the sub to make sure I didn't wire it wrong, Wired to 2 0hms. So I was like wtf is this. So I ran a new power wire around the outside of the car. Same thing, Snappedddd the 30 amp fuses everytime.

So at this point i'm thinkin wow... I feel like this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I feel like a noob lol.

So I looked at his boxes. He bought everything from somewhere out of state, had a postage stamp on it from Texas. I'm over in VA.

So I called him, told him what was going on, Told him noting was grounding out because It wasn't. Told him the impedance was right, and then he said well the guy I bought it from on eBay said the fuses snapped but he didn't know why. I was like ooo so it's defective anyways. He was like yeah it is, so I asked why he wanted me to install it since it was messed up and he said he didn't know.

But anyways I told him to buy a new amp since everything else worked and I told him I would install it for free, since He paid for everything already.

But my question... why would it be blowing fuses like that? Faulty from the company?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1805
not faulty from company, someone blew it, then package it back up!

the output transitors on the amp are fried, or welded.. if u open the amp, u will see burn marks near the transistors..

as soon as u give it power... POP... yepp, ive had that happen b4. normally when someone hooked up the impdence load too low, thats how it started! Amp already damaged...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Alright, just thought i'd asked because i've never seen that happen. About 95% of what I install is new in the box, not used. So thats probably why I never have seen it.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1812
yea, someone repacked and shipped, its the amp 4 sure. if u tried a diff amp, it would turn right on and work!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
yeah I know, cause the amp I installed I also bench tested after i installed it all and it was poppin fuses lol. I should have bench tested before. oh well

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1818
yepp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us