13w7 problem....

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 351
since it only comes in dual 1.5 ohm, can you wire it to a 1ohm load? (with just 1 w7)

because i was thinking about getting the memphis 16-prd1000.1 which puts out 1000watts givin the w7 wut it needs but i dont think i could even do that..

what would be some good choices for amps with a 13w7 besides the jl 1000/1? i dont want a pos amp, something decent or above average.

that memphis amp is $400 shipped at woofersetc.com now, so that would save a lot of money with what (i think) is a pretty good amp.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 353
actually that amp is about $350 shipped on ebay.

is that amp any good? ive heard good things about memphis but i wouldnt no for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1089
i thought the w7 was a single voice coil

but if its dual 1.5 you can wire it to 3 or .75 ohms

some amps would be able to to hanlde .75 ohms, i dont know if the memphis could..but maybe...someone else should know for sure...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5795
The whole 3 ohm thing seems to confuse the crap out of everybody.

In reference to the above question, I'd run the sub at 3 ohm no questions asked.

That said, 3 ohm isn't a far cry from 4 ohm. If you had an amp that is putting out 30V, and it's pushing this into a 4 ohm load, your power output is going to be 225W (30^2/4=225). If your amp is putting out that same 30V into a 3 ohm load, your power output is going to be 300W (30^2/3=300). Comparatively, 30V put on a 2 ohm load is going to be 450W. You'll see that 3 ohm is closer, power wise, to a 4 ohm load, approximately a 33% increase in power over 4 ohm. It's also close as far as the current required for the output devices. That said, if you're going to get an amp other than a JL 1000/1, then just treat the W7 like a SVC 4 ohm subwoofer. Unless you're getting high current amp like one of the older US amps, don't be tempted by the possible .75 ohm load that a 13W7 can do. Assume the W7 is 4 ohm and be prepared to accomodate it-the sub is underrated and can take the extra power it'll get by truly being 3 ohm. Note that I'm not saying 1000W on a 4 ohm bridge, because you will stress most amplifiers doing this.

DPW, there is a guy selling an Arc Audio 1500XXK on CAC right now for $300, and it will blow that Memphis out of the water. The amp is rated to put out 900x1 on a 4 ohm bridge and 1000x1 on a 2 ohm bridge. The amp is highly underrated and will do much more than that, plus it's of very high quality and built like a tank. Good guy that's closing his shop and selling the amps near cost.
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3875

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 354
thank you jonathan for all the help, that def cleared some things up.

but as of now i dont have $300, otherwise id be considering that amp.

right now im planing on either a 12w7

or

adding 2 more IDQ 12's which would leave me with three 12" IDQv2d2 subs, needing around 1,200-1,500 watts to push them.

going with the idq's would be cheaper, im assuming sound better, but would the 3 12's be as loud as 1 12w7?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5796
Yeah, 3 IDQ 12s would be as loud if not louder than a single 12W7, as well as easier to accomodate with an amplifier (probably, I don't know which impedance your current IDQ is).

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 355
i have a dual 2 ohm idq now, so im assuming if i got 2 more id have to get them dual 2 ohm too.

with that bein said how would i go about wiring that setup?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 356
and with 1,200-1,500 watts rms with a class d amp would i need a new alternator or cap or ne thing like that?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 360
bump

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 265
new alternator and a yellow top and you'll be in business

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 362
damn... and how much is that ganna run me?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us