Bad information from other posters

Bronze Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 74
I'm newer to this forum and take you gold members for what you say. I purchased a Orion H2 15.2 and I have a orion 2500d. I asked if i could power it without worring about overpowering. Well i got a couple comments back sayin I could almost buy a second amp and still not worry. One person said i could run it at 4000rms. Well I just hooked it up about 5 days ago adn had my amp at about medium with the gain at 0. It was ok at low volumes but this morning i turned it up for the first time to see its real power, and to show it off driving into school. As i pulled in the bass cutoff. When Iparked i opened by trunk. It was like a cheech and chong movie with the smoke everywhere. The sub blew to sh1t. The sub was bought from an unauthorized store so I'm pretty screwed I guess. Thanks for all the help great mood that put me in through out the day.

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 553
glad i didnt give you misleading information. sorry to hear about that matt. i am surprised that happened though. H2's are not like that. i am guessing something else went wrong somewhere. hmmm.

Bronze Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 76
Wiring was all correct, 1 ohm load, amp was doing its job, the subs just cant handle what everyone made them out to be. They are what they are rated as. Just woundering if anyone had any ideas of how i could get money back or a new sub?

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 555
how much power did you put into it?

Bronze Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 77
i had my amp at around 75 percent so im guessing around 3500 watts at most peak so around 1750 rms, That a rough estimate though im guessing it wasnt even that much power at peak

Bronze Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 71
Well I'm sorry to hear how it went down, but jeeze you dont have to take everyones word for things.. just match up the RMS and the watts ur pushing.. its all on a spec sheet somewhere I'm sure. If someone tells me my 900 rms rated sub can handle 2000 watts rms - gold status or not - im def not about to go trying it unless i want to have a crispy sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Clacla100

Tallahassee, Fl US

Post Number: 96
take a picture of what you had your amp settings at and post it

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6595
Could it be that ur car's electrical system is insufficient 2 give the required current 2 ur amp & that caused the sub 2 b clipped 2 death !???....

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1446
^^^bingo.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1665
first off, you were not putting that 3500 w to it, especially if it is a stock system.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1777
hmmm, a dead h2 sub from a 2500 orion....

sub was wired to 1ohm, (dual2)

someting was wrong, now answer these questions...
HO alternator?
Wiring gauges?
BOX size and type?
Gain settings/Bass settings?

something must have clipped this thing to death...
had to been thermal damage, not mechanical with 2500rms....

I know people who give them considerably more than 2500 so, u messed up some where...

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6090
Why didnt u have the gain set to ur hu pre-out voltage

and u sold this, for 1 H2

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2240405

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1779
im thinking his wiring must have been 4ga or something... someone half-way-stepped it!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11387
well let's see:
a: showing off at school is a great way to get your stuf stolen, get kicked off of campus, or have the police called, and get your car impounded. Also why so many laws are being passed to impound cars with abusive audio systems. Good job!

2: all gold member means is they have over 1000 posts. Lots of gold members here who aren't professional installers, and probably have never had an H2 or Orion amp before. Assuming they know everything is anothe err in judgement.

3: your charging system, if stock, would cause that amp to clip to a square wave, which will fry any sub quickly at that much power.

4: Orion H2 subs are very sensitive to overpowering and I've seen quite a few damaged. Not my favorite subs there.. much better stuff around for the money.

5: buying from the gray market was your choice, and you just found out why it's a bad idea. The few bucks you saved just cost you a lot more.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is all pretty much your own fault. Not any of ours.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 450
well 75% on the amp is a little overboard and the H2 as any sub would fry in a heart beat with a clipped signal. If you don't know how to listen to a sub you shouldn't push your sub to such limits. You need to listen to the sound of the sub. Sorry to hear you screwed it up but maybe next time you'll consider buying from an authorized dealer and learn a little bit more on car audio.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1198
Matt, no offense but you got owned

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1170
do you remember who it was that told you how much to give it?

Bronze Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 74
Heres another reason i wont be investing big BIG money into huge systems until I become a little wiser ;)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2258
Lessons via experience can be quite costly in car audio. Charge it to the game, read up, and buy something better this time. You'll feel better and look back at the unfortunate matter with a smile. Tough times don't last for long. Afterall, no one you know died and you still have your health, ...etc

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2259
I hope.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 942
haha, moron. most of the gold members here dont know jack. they are just gold because they post like 50 a day with no useful information.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1079
i dont know if this would be a problem because it was at the minimum but having the gain at 0 is wrong

needs to be matched to the head unit

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 561
isnt that sub 2000 rms? and you said you were putting 1175 into it? or did i read it wrong...

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1201
If he had a stock alternator I'm sure his amp was drawing way more current than his electrical system could provide and when the voltage dropped the amp clipped horribly which fried the sub. Also because he bought that sub from an unauthorized dealer they may have sold him a defective sub.

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 106
Hey it sounds like you had your bass boost up which we all know is nothing but distortion thus resulting(like every one has said)in a clippy death.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 487
Hey hey don't blame it on the poor bass boost, not its fault, lol. Just like Alter said, you need to be able to listen to the sub and know when and when not to add more. I use bass boost and there isn't any distortion because I know when to add or cut during different types of music to avoid overloading, now my brother is a different story, can't even listen to his sh!t, lol..Polo.

Bronze Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 78
Well I can assure you it was not my electircal system as it is powered by a 300amp ohio alt.,three batterys, and 0 guage for most the wiring , some four guage was used for wiring but only directly to the amp from a fuse. I had a shop look at it and they said most likley the coil was deffective because i can run the shop owners RE MT on my amp from my car electrical with no problems. So i guess i just got a bad buy, Sorry I did not know the information earlier I do owe a few of you posters an apology but it was not the setup that did it, right off the bat the sub wasnt working correctly which is unusual from Orion. As for all you guys that are saying "Told ya so" without even knowing whats going on from the start, you guys are soo cool, one day I wish I could know as much about subs as you guys.

PS GlassWolf I know you have seniority here and I respect you but that comment was kinda uncalled for not knowing where I'm from. In my neighborhood its all about subs everyone at are school has them, a couple teachers even do for shits and the principal thinks its cool the school liezon even checks out some of out systems and comments on them.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 490
Well I can assure you it was not my electircal system as it is powered by a 300amp ohio alt.,three batterys, and 0 guage for most the wiring

Sorry I find that hard to believe some little kid of 17 years in an Audi A6 is going to have 3 batteries and a 300A alt right when someone was pointing the finger at your elec system. I want pictures of the battery placement and of the 300A alt. Funny you can wire up a 3 battery system and not be able to match a sub to an amp on your own? Kinda fishy.........Polo.

Bronze Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 80
yeah i know i get alot of crap for that kinda stuff problem is my older brother was huge into this stuff and did alot and you can tell where he left off and I began, ill get you some pics soon of it all hopefully tomorow as it is almost 11 pm right now and I have school.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1794
yea, HAD to been defective...

I have Orion amps, the gain being set to 75% is about correct, if u have low input on the rcas... their potentiomenters are real real sensitive... cause its alot of raw power...

the sub, must have been defective, or refurbed.. i would pick diff subs the 2nd time around..

the h2 is rated at 2000rms, a 2500d shouldnt blow it!
i run a 2 500rms sub with 2 2500ds.. so I take it my subs are tough!
u must know how to listen to your subs for distortion, they are your best friend... love em, touch em, feel the dustcap see if its warm..

Bronze Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 95
polo and chauncy are right his info isnt adding up about his cars.... and why did u need help with all your pickin and choosing if u had this https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/200171.html can we see some pics of your stuff like this car and your buick beside each other im not drawin conclusions just looks odd how you didnt know this or that about audio but ur runnin that buick in comps....

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1839
"The custom box is tuned to 67Hz and set the world record in 2003 by hitting a 166.7 dB in its class. Its insanly loud and its up for sale."

ummm the record for a trunk is 155db!!!
i guess that wouldnt be considered trunk, its almost in the passanger seat~!

Bronze Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 81
Once agian the buick was my brothers and he is a genius with this stuff, he handed down the buick to me when he left and I use it as a beater car but I dont dare touch the system. So im trying to learn on my own and trying to get help from you guys, i said ill get pics up soon last night and i plan on getting some tonight after work or tomorow. As far as the records my bro got, hes got all the papers for them and when he come back for spring break ill makes sure to scan those in to just for u haters. As far as the H2 goes I contacted the company and they are refunding me now and they said theyve had a few subs DOA so yea

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1843
ok.. they had a few DOA... why did they sell, then ship?? I would get my $$ back and run from that store... get the orions else where or get diff subs...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5397
Why would you buy Orion subs? For about the same money or a bit more, you can get RE MT for SPL or JL 13W7 for SQL.
If all you want is to pound the crap out of your car and school, MT will do just fine. I've used and tested it in a 5 cu ft box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us