What is filling a box with "POLY" and how do you do it? I will use it if its better.

Silver Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 123
What is filling a box with "POLY" and how do you do it? I will use it if its better. Just curious because I read it in another thread. I thought I posted this earlier but I cant find it.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 978
its poly fil its stuff like cotton that you can just stuff in your box. It makes it sound better and if you have a bigger box it can make it seem like its a smaller box. But then again it cuts down on the spl i believe. Anyone correct me if im wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6499
i think u knew what ur talking about charlie but prolly typed it wrong

""""if you have a bigger box it can make it seem like its a smaller box""""

should be >>> - if you have a SMALLER than rec box it can make it seem like its a BIGGER box .

IMO - build it right the 1st time if space is available ....

Silver Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 125
okay. I have a kicker L7 15" dual 2 in a ported box tuned to 35hz-40hz and 3.5 cubic. It is braced and sealed really good and the dual 2006 l7 is pushed by a kicker 1200/1 amp. I know the sound quality sucks but I want SPL. Should I fill it with poly fill? Also another question I have kappa 3 ways (the newest models) in normal sized 6x9 sealed boxes with bass blockers-(200 watt)that go on the + terminal. Should I put a little poly fill in the box with the Kappa's or does it matter. I have to have them in the box because they will not fit in my truck. Should I leave the bass blockers on because they do block a lot of the bass in the boxes, but I do not know if they affect the wattage. Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 720
try the poly fill and see what you think. its really cheap at wal-mart, but it probably wont be as loud.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 412
Umm can you actually use it in a ported box? I know if I was to stuff my ported box it would be in my trunk pretty quick, lol. Poly slows the movement of air within the enclosure to make the sub(s) believe it is in a larger one, usually resulting in deeper more accurate bass. Maybe if you glued poly pads to the ported enclosure walls? Polo..

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1687
-pollyfill is for SEALED boxes..
-pollyfill is NOT recomended for ported boxes...

Bronze Member
Username: Royt

Swimmingmom2...

Post Number: 46
Qlogic makes ported box's with polyfill...

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1689
polyfill does little or no justice in a ported box. Qlogic also sucks... there is prob no thought into that box design either.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 722
I know this doesn't say much, but Kicker recommends polyfill in a ported box

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1703
polyfill absorbs standing waves (sealed) / a ported box wont have many standing waves at all.

polyfill works on the pricincples of thermodynamics.

heat builds up in an enclosure due to the mechanical movment of the speaker moving back and forth.

with polyfill the fibers wiggle and move back and forth and help to dissipate some of the heat created. since the heat in now being dissipated the speaker thinks its in a larger enclosure than it is because it can produce more heat.

polyfill can also help to absorb standing waves. standing waves are the result of the rear wave of the speaker, reflecting off the internal walls and then meeting the other reflected waves in the enclosure. standing waves can cause your drivers reponse to sound muddy or inaccurate.

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 986
ya rovin thats what i ment to say just did it backwards i wasnt 100% positive on the larger smaller thing

Silver Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 126
Thanks for the help! Do you think I would be wasting my time to put a little bit in with the kappas 6x9's in there sealed box? I don't want more bass and that is why I bought the bass reducers for the + terminal.
Thanks

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1721
"Thanks for the help! Do you think I would be wasting my time to put a little bit in with the kappas 6x9's in there sealed box? I don't want more bass and that is why I bought the bass reducers for the + terminal.
Thanks"

great question!!

YES polyifull works wonders for midbass, drivers in their own box... they will improve the SQ of the 6x9s, it will improve the speaker response..

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3074
hey B how about if i stuff inside my front door panel with polyfill? you think that will help with the sq of the comp set in the front?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1736
yea Chad polyfill works wonders for small drivers like that in their own enclose/box.. improves sq alot, try it, and see how it sounds... u can always remove it if u dont like it. Post back and tell us...

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3088
B i just got done putting polyfill in the front door panels. the difference in sound is so noticeable. it sounds soooooo much better. the speakers sound so crips now.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 737
Chad and B: is that the same effect as putting dynamat in the door?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny619

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 76
hahah, does it really sound that much better, better then dynamat huh?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3098
thats a good question. i am gonna dynamat the door this saturday afternoon. i will post it after i do that. i will first take out the polyfill and deaden the door and see how it sounds. after that i'll put the polyfill back in with the dynamat and see how that sounds. but i do need to dynamat the door cause it rattles at high volume.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 738
deffinately let me know cause i'll be replacing my door speakers soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us