Weird designs - benefits? (i.e. (12) 8 inch RE RE's - etc)

Bronze Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 52
I'm just kinda curious, whats the benefit to making those weird designs of subs people do? Things like 12 8 inch subs, or like 4 12 inch 250 watt subs. Anything other than wow factor?

Cuz I'm kinda interested in FILLING my car with 8 inch RE RE's - it would look pretty cool LOL

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1419
Look pretty cool and be pretty loud lol. There's a video on ROE with a guy who has like 12 of them or so...

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1304
to be able to say you have 12 8's, lol. thats about all i can think of.

i was thinking about going with some 8's just to be different. but 4, not 12, lol.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1423
8's have a tighter sound with more cone control. They don't have quite the lower end frequency response of 10"-15" subwoofers.

Really, 12" is very commonly used because it is a nice mix of tight punchy bass with good output.

8's would most likely be used for someone just wishing to have some extra low-end frequencies being played, basically for SQ.

Bronze Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 56
Think it would sound half decent? Hit hard?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6411
why bother having a dozen small subs when Marshall White's 1 single 15" SX hits 140+ DBs.......

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1425
Really, having that many "smallish" subs is just for show.

But lets say that a pair of RE 8's does 120dB (generous). And you have 12 of them. Add 2 more, ~123dB. Add 4 more, ~126dB. You'd have to have 16 of them to hit near or more than 130dB. That's presuming a sealed enclosure is used. Port them, and add 3dB to that figure.

Bronze Member
Username: Nztunez

NelsonNew Zealand

Post Number: 14
IMO...it would be a pain having to use up so much space to install 12 8" subs basically just for the looks with the side benefit of visually enticing every crackhead within listening distance to jack the stuff.

I dunno about others...but I listen to stereo systems not look at them. A nice tidy looking install is the goal and by keeping things simple and clean with a nice stealthy looking system where you can't even tell there is actually several thousand dollars of equipment onboard you are actually accomplishing something as well.

Of course there are two school's of thought...the high "bling-bling" crowd that run around rattling trunks and pi$$ing everyone off and those that just let the sounds speak for themselves in a nice stealthy sealed environment where the only ones who know what the system is like are those that are privileged enough to be riding inside. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 234
IMO I love 8's. I am not sure how RE's sound but I know the w6's I had were amazing. if I can go back to any size it would prolly be 8s.

Bronze Member
Username: Xxcodytxx1

Post Number: 39
Cameron knows the response on 8's are crazy, a buddy of mine uses them as midbass drivers in his truck, and I know the knew mustangs come with 7's in the door
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us