Wood vs Fiberglass

Username: Dantzler803

Bucktown, SC USA

Post Number: 9
Trying to decide between Wood or Fiberglass enclosure for (1) 15" MTX 9500 or (1) 13" W6 or 7. I'm thinking about putting it in my escalade or 98 deville. Should I use Wood or Fiberglass and why should I ???

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 385
3/4" birch plywood ported. It just has a warm smooth sound to it. Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 714
the question between fiberglass and wood is answered by the shape of the box. if your tring to save space then fiberglass probably. You should use wood if at all possible because its cheaper and easier to work with. Its hard to get curves with wood. you could also use both. use the fiberglass for the curved parts and wood for the flat surfaces.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2236
If the enclosure is built well, neither will make an acoustical difference. Wood isn't going to "sound" any different than any other enclosure that is equally as stable. It just depends on the number of layers (or how thick your bondo is if you decide not to actually glass it).
What does matter is your application. If you don't desire the molding capability and aesthetic appeal fiberglass affordeds, then go with the MDF. The hassle wouldn't be worth the potential structural advantage of the fiberglass.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2237
that is... "affords":-)

Bronze Member
Username: Dantzler803

Bucktown, SC USA

Post Number: 12
Thanks alot. I'm not building the box, I was going to purchase one from a shop or on the net. I heard a couple of cars w/ fiberglass and they were hitting w/ 12"s ya know. That's why I was thinking about 15"s w/ fiberglass. Thanks again..

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1303
yeah, fiberglass will be very expencive if you have it done somewhere. it'll sound just as good as MDF if done right. also, you'd definally want to make sure its done right because fiberglass enclosures can crack over time. sure would suck to spend hundreds for it and have it turn to crap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us